Healthy and creamy chicken stroganoff (made using yogurt, surprise!) and served over egg noodles. Have you ever had one of those days where things just keep going wrong and you just want to crawl back into bed, pull the covers over your head and sleep it all away?? Oh, good. Glad I’m not the only one! 😉
Yesterday was like that for me. It was just one thing after another, finally ending in getting stranded at Ralph’s grocery store with all four of my kids strapped in the car and $300 worth of groceries warming up in the back. Ugh.
It’s bad enough that I had to take all four kids to the store but to pile them in the car and the groceries too, and then the car won’t start? Awesome. Dead battery. Again. Can’t even tell you how many times it’s happened to me lately! Luckily I have AAA on speed dial! Waiting the 30 minutes for them to rescue me in the parking lot was torture but my car started right up with one of those jumper things.
We make it home, unload the groceries and I remember I need to pick up my husband’s dress shirts from the cleaners. I get in the car…it doesn’t start. Luckily my husband came home soon after before I lost my marbles. He took my battery into where we bought it (not long ago!) and sure enough, it was a defective battery! I should have brought it in three dead batteries ago!
Either way, glad it works now and there was a light at the end of the tunnel. This dinner!
I love beef stroganoff but sometimes I just want something lighter. Chicken was on sale at my grocery store and I’m a huge sautéed mushroom fan. The yogurt is an interesting addition but I liked it. It keeps the calorie count low while adding protein and making the sauce creamy. Works for me! Not the best pictures I’ve ever taken but it was sort of a hard dish to photograph.
Any excuse to cook up some egg noodles, though, is fine with me! Sprinkle a little parsley on top, and you got yourself a healthy dinner!
Healthy Chicken Stroganoff
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
- salt & pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. light butter
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- parsley chopped for garnish
- cooked egg noodles or other pasta
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Season chicken cubes with salt and pepper.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and add olive oil. Sauté chicken until browned. Remove from pan and place in an 8x8" or casserole baking dish.
- Add flour and paprika to pan juices and cook, stirring for one minute.
- Stir in yogurt and mix well. Spoon mixture over chicken in dish.
- Spray a small skillet with cooking spray and sauté mushrooms. When softened and browned, add lemon juice and cook one more minute. Spoon on top of chicken mixture in baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Serve with egg noodles and topped with a sprinkling of parsley. Enjoy!
Hungry for more pasta? Try these recipes:
Chicken Thai Noodle BowlsRicotta Linguine with Green Beans & Cherry TomatoesChicken Tetrazzini
First, I know how you feel with the dead battery thing. I just went through that and we had a defective battery too. The worse was having to take the kids to school and the car not starting 🙁 Anyways, I love stroganoff and I like that you made it with chicken instead of beef (I don’t really care for beef too much). Will have to give this a try.
Kathi @ Deliciously Yum! says
I am totally with you – sometimes I’m just in the mood for something lighter. This stroganoff recipe looks so yummy – I am pretty sure you can’t tell the difference!
Totally! My boys loved it! Thanks so much for stopping by, Kathi! Hope you’re having a great week!