Spice your dinner up tonight and make this Cajun Red Beans and Rice Recipe! Slow cook beans, ham, turkey sausage and spices in a skillet to let the flavors combine. Serve over rice for a delicious dinner the whole family will fall in love with!
Make an incredible dinner tonight that everyone will love! This Cajun Red Beans & Rice Recipe is incredibly easy to throw together and tastes like it took days to make. 😉 So much flavor slow cooked into one dish!
I’m gonna be super honest here…I’m pretty new to the whole idea of red beans and rice. I was browsing through an old cookbook to get inspired for new dinner recipes, when I came across this recipe (which of course I tweaked, lol!)
Stop and think about the combination of beans, sausage and ham slow cooked together for several hours with herbs and spices. Can’t you just smell that?! Your house will smell incredible! The beans are so tender and full of flavor. It’s a delicious comfort food dinner everyone will love.
Trust me when I say that everyone will love this dish. As you probably know, I have four boys. Two of which are teenagers so… I have to make a LOT of food to fill everyone up!
Two out of four of my boys are pretty picky with what they like. I should say, I am lucky that they are all open to trying new foods and even ethnic cuisines.
Now, I wouldn’t say that this red beans and rice recipe is super cajun-y (is that a word?). It doesn’t contain any cajun seasoning but it’s more about the cajun style of cooking. It starts with what the cajun call the “holy trinity” of ingredients – onion, celery and bell peppers.
Onion, celery and bell peppers are softened in butter and olive oil and then cooked for a few hours with pre-soaked red beans, ham, turkey sausage, herbs and broth. It’s one of those simple dinners you don’t have to babysit.
You do the initial part of softening the onion, celery and peppers and then dump everything in and forget about it.
The flavor in this red beans and rice recipe is truly incredible. The texture of the beans with the proteins served over rice is very pleasing to the palate. It’s a new staple dinner recipe in my home! I hope you give it a try and enjoy it as much as my family has!
- 1 pound dry red beans
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced small
- ½ cup celery, diced small
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 7-oz. package ham, diced
- 14-oz. smoked turkey sausage rope, diced
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Rinse red beans and soak in water overnight. Drain beans before cooking.
- In a cast iron pan or other heavy skillet, heat butter and olive oil until warm.
- Add in onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Let cook until translucent.
- Pour in softened beans, ham, turkey sausage, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves and oregano.
- Stir in chicken broth. Simmer on medium-low for 3-4 hours, until the beans are soft and almost creamy. Add more water if necessary.
- Remove bay leaves before serving. Serve over white rice with a sprinkle of parsley. Enjoy!
If you liked this recipe, you might like these too:
For even more great ideas follow me on: