Caramelized Butternut Squash makes the tastiest side dish! It’s one of the best ways to cook butternut squash. With a little sweet and a little spice, this butternut squash recipe will knock your socks off! (Thanks to Truvía® for sponsoring this post!)
Well, we’re halfway through the first week of school and it’s been great so far! My older boys have teachers they like and teachers they don’t and my younger ones are in love with their teachers. So far, so good!
Since they’re in school, I’ve been feeling like fall is ahead of us. It doesn’t quite feel like fall, since it’s been a little too hot around my area but still I’m craving it! The crisp-cool weather, boots, sweaters, pumpkin, casseroles, comfort food… you catch my drift? 😉
One of my favorite fall vegetables is squash. I love spaghetti squash, acorn squash, butternut squash, basically any and all squashes, lol! They’re all so delicious and they’re healthy, too! One of my favorite ways to cook butternut squash is to caramelize it. It’s so easy to do!
You can peel and chop up your own squash or even buy pre-packaged cubed butternut squash. Pour some melted butter over the cubes…
Sprinkle Truvia Brown Sugar Blend, salt, pepper and a little cayenne over it…
Toss it all together..
And roast it in the oven until the squash is tender and the brown sugar has caramelized. Seriously your house will smell AMAZING. Just like fall should smell like!
On its own, squash has a great flavor but when you caramelize it, it really brings out the sweetness of the squash. It is so fragrant and flavorful! Adding a little bit of cayenne to the caramelized butternut squash gives it a little added kick in every bite. The combination of salty, sweet and spicy is so tasty! I really think this is the best way ever to make caramelized butternut squash!
And the fact that Truvia Brown Sugar Blend is used instead of regular brown sugar, means less calories too! I love replacing brown sugar in recipes with Truvia’s Brown Sugar Blend. You can’t tell the difference and you save calories. Total win-win. Even though it’s not quite fall, it’s never too early to start cooking that squash, am I right?!
Caramelized Butternut Squash
- 2 medium butternut squash about 4-5 pounds total
- 1/4 cup Truvia Brown Sugar Blend
- 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- cayenne pepper to taste (omit if preferred)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Get out a large baking sheet and set aside.
- Peel the squash and cut off the ends. Slice lengthwise and remove the seeds inside. Cut the squash into about 1 1/2 inches cubes and set on baking sheet.
- Pour the melted butter, Truvia Brown Sugar Blend, salt, pepper and cayenne. Using your hands, toss to coat the squash evenly.
- Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet and roast for about 45 mins, or until the squash is tender and caramelized, stirring a few times while cooking.
- Taste and season as necessary. Serve immediately. Enjoy!