Healthy and delicious enchiladas with chicken, black beans and quinoa rolled inside flour tortillas. Guiltless and easy dinner!
Wow. How in the world is it May already? Cray cray. I can’t believe how fast this year is flying by.
This time of year is one of my favorites because the weather starts to warm up, there are baseball games to enjoy and the days are longer. I have fond childhood memories of staying outside until the sun starts to set, rollerblading with my friends and enjoying the longer days.
Another reason I love this time of year is because of Cinco de Mayo!! I LOVE Mexican food. A lot. It’s my very favorite thing in the world (next to Thai yellow chicken curry). 😉
One of my favorite Mexican dishes are enchiladas. I love all different kinds and try new recipes all the time. I can’t believe it, but this is my first enchilada recipe on this blog! I have two enchilada casseroles but this is my first actual enchilada recipe. I am so excited about these because they’re so dang yummy!
Chicken, black beans, quinoa, salsa and spices rolled into tortillas and baked. They’re so easy to make and taste wonderful.
Plus they’re full of protein! My boys love them. It’s a win-win. Perfect to serve any night of the week or to celebrate Cinco de Mayo!
Chicken, Black Bean & Quinoa Enchiladas
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup cooked chicken diced
- 1 cup quinoa already cooked
- 8-10 fajita sized flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese + more for topping
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 2.5 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium sized saucepan, sauté onion, bell pepper and garlic in the olive oil. Cook until tender and then add in beans, tomatoes, salsa, chili powder, cumin, chicken and quinoa. Stir to combine, then fold in 1 cup cheese and stir until melted.
- Place about 1/4 cup of mixture into the middle of each tortilla and roll, covering filling with tortilla, then place seam side down in baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Add 1/4 cup salsa to remaining filling mixture and pour over the top of rolled enchiladas.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top and cover with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Take off foil and bake for 5 more minutes. Serve with sour cream, sliced green onions, and cilantro if desired. Enjoy!
Craving more Mexican food? Try these:
20+ delicious Cinco de Mayo recipes
Gretchen @ Two Healthy Kitchens says
Oh …. quinoa inside the enchilada! Genuis! I usually put rice in, but quinoa is so, so smart! Jen – you are brilliant! We are fans of pretty much any Mexican food, so I know this will be a huge hit at my house! So stoked to try this! 🙂
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
I’ve been on an enchilada binge the past two weeks! These look great, and I think this is the perfect way to “disguise” quinoa so my family will eat it. I can’t stand that nobody else in my family likes it. These enchiladas look delicious, Jen!
Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar says
omg, yes to mexican food any day of the week! I can’t believe it’s May either – where does the time go?! These enchiladas look amazing, my mouth is watering! Pinned!
Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic says
Yay for Cinco de Mayo and all the Mexican food! These enchiladas look sooooo good!
Kathi @ Deliciously Yum! says
Love seeing all of the Mexican dishes being posted around this time each year since I can never seem to get enough of it :). Enchiladas are probably my favorite and I am always looking for new recipes and twists. Yours definitely fit the bill – they look so yummy!
Stephanie @ Back For Seconds says
Guiltless AND easy AND mexican?? I’m in!!
Gloria // Simply Gloria says
Jen, loving these easy and healthy enchiladas for dinner! I’ve never tried quinoa… but now you’ve convinced me! So happy you shared these at the Show Stopper party! Pinned and sharing on G+. Hope you’re having a great week, so far! 🙂