Delicious Chicken Teriyaki Bowls with chicken baked in a homemade teriyaki sauce layered on top of a bed of rice & veggies!
If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I dropped my oldest off at the airport yesterday. It was bittersweet because I know he’s going to have fun with his dad and his family up in Utah, but of course I hate seeing him go. He’ll be back at the end of July.
The weirdest part is that he’s not an unaccompanied minor anymore so I don’t have to go through security and wait with him. Kinda scary but kinda nice too!
I mean, he’s only 12. But he’s a mature 12, I’d like to think. Except for some of the weird things he says sometimes. I think most pre-teens can be strange. 😉
If you don’t know what I’m talking about, then let me give you an example of something my oldest says that’s just weird.
“I like chicken”
He says this phrase at the weirdest, oddest moments. Like when he’s walking by me in the kitchen, he’ll randomly say “I like chicken” and then walk away.
What a weirdo! But I have to agree, I like chicken, too! Especially an easy chicken dish that’s quickly baked and doesn’t require many ingredients to be delicious.
I have three words for you: “Chicken Teriyaki Bowls”. Best dinner idea ever. I’m pretty sure 99.9% of people like Chicken Teriyaki, am I right?! This recipe is so easy and super flavorful. The sauce is sweet and salty and the chicken comes out tender. Served over a bed of rice and steamed veggies, this will be a dinner that will have everyone saying, “I like chicken.”;)
Chicken Teriyaki BowlsPrint Pin Rate
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. cold water
- 1 cup sugar or 1/2 cup truvia sweetener
- 1 cup lite soy sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced or put through a garlic press
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 5-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or more because this recipe makes a lot of sauce!)
- 1 bag pre-cut fresh stir-fry vegetables frozen would work too, steamed
- steamed rice white or brown
- sesame seeds optional
- Preheat oven to 425º F. In a small saucepan over low heat, mix the cornstarch, water, sugar (or Truvia), soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger and pepper. Let simmer for a few minutes, stirring until thickened.
- Spray the bottom of a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Place chicken breasts in the bottom of pan and pour teriyaki sauce over chicken. Cover pan with foil.
- Bake covered for 25 minutes and then take the foil off and continue cooking for about 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside (165 degrees).
- Meanwhile, have your rice steaming in a rice cooker and cook your stir fry vegetables. Take chicken out and let cool while you prepare the bowls: add rice to the bottom of the bowls, then a layer of vegetables. Slice up your chicken and layer on top. Drizzle with remaining teriyaki sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Looking for more easy dinner recipes? Try these too:
Pecan Crusted Chicken with Apple Cream SauceThis post was originally published at I Heart Nap Time on January 31st.