I have great memories of my mom making stuffed bell peppers for my family when I was a kid. This is a slight twist on her classic stuffed bell pepper recipe that I grew up eating and loving!
As a mom of young kids, I look back on what my mom (and dad) did for me when I was growing up and have extreme gratitude for everything. SO much gratitude for all the time spent driving to and from dance lessons, piano lessons, violin lessons, friends’ houses, home cooked meals, freshly cleaned and folded laundry… the list goes on and on and on. When I was a kid? I admit, NOT so much gratitude.
In fact, I remember hating some of those dance lessons. I definitely hated piano and despised the expensive private violin lessons my parents paid for. Didn’t even think twice about the laundry or the home cooked meals. In fact, I remember hating certain dinners that my mom made when I was a kid. Meatloaf was one. And I’ll admit that stuffed bell peppers was another. I know, I know. Who could hate stuffed bell peppers?
There’s so much to love! Now as an adult, I realize this. I love the flavor of the bell pepper. I love the texture of slicing into it after its been cooking for awhile and eating it with a bite of the flavorful rice and beef interior. It’s just soooo good. So comforting, so delicious and brings back such great memories of family dinners with my parents and siblings.
Thanks mom for giving me such a great recipe to make for my kids. (who are still learning to appreciate it, lol!) I love comfort food dishes for the fall and have already made these twice in the last few weeks. With this quickly approaching fall season, I hope you make these easy stuffed bell peppers and enjoy them as much as we do!
- 5 large green peppers
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey or beef
- ½ of an onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- ¾ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained (I used fire roasted corn)
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Remove seeds and stem from each bell pepper. Cook in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain; set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan, brown beef or turkey and onion over medium heat. Drain.
- Stir in salt, garlic powder, pepper, cumin, chili powder, rice, corn and half the tomato sauce.
- Stuff each pepper with mixture and stand upright in an ungreased 2.5 quart baking dish.
- Pour remaining tomato sauce over peppers. Cover with foil. Cook in preheated oven to 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cook another 15 minutes uncovered, until cheese is melted and peppers are cooked through.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!