Creamy Pumpkin Pasta that’s vegetarian, skinny and absolutely delicious! This easy and healthier pasta sauce is great with any type of pasta or even zucchini noodles!
Happy National Pasta Day! I have to admit that I don’t eat a lot of pasta. Not because I don’t like it (OMG I LOVE IT) but because it likes my waistline a little too much. 😉
When I do eat pasta, I try and make sure the sauce is healthier and the pasta is either from the low carb variety or whole wheat.
I’m also a big fan of zucchini noodles or zoodles. Do you like those? I love my Southwest Zucchini Noodle Mason Jar Salad and my Zoodle Pizza Casserole that incorporates the zucchini noodles. Tell me if you want me to share more of them and I’ll get on it ASAP!
I’m really excited to share this recipe with you today! I decided to go out of my comfort zone and make creamy pumpkin pasta.
I know, that sounds pretty weird, right? Pumpkin and pasta aren’t things you usually see together. But let me tell you, savory pumpkin recipes is where it’s at!
When I was newly married, I worked at an Italian restaurant. We served this amazing pumpkin ravioli that was to-die-for. I’m sure it had a million calories but it was worth every bite.
Because I had worked there, I knew the savory flavors of pumpkin and pasta were a good combo but I was nervous about how to make it lower calorie and still taste good.
Back in August, my parents and in-laws came to stay with us for a weekend and we made Pasta with Light Avocado Cream Sauce using fat-free evaporated milk instead of cream. It worked really well so I thought, why not try that same method again but incorporating pumpkin instead of avocado?
I cooked some onions and garlic in a pan and then pureed them with pumpkin, evaporated milk and spices in my blender. I heated it up in the saucepan, tossed in some whole wheat linguine and devoured it!
Creamy pumpkin pasta that was incredibly flavorful and delicious! If you haven’t ever make pasta with pumpkin, I encourage you to get out of your comfort zone and make this creamy pumpkin pasta!
Don’t forget to sign up for my exclusive secrets – 5 Secrets to Yummy & Healthy! Click HERE to join!
Follow me on:
Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta (Skinny & Vegetarian)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 cups fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. salt or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of cayenne pepper if desired
- 1/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- 1 lb. whole wheat linguine or other favorite pasta/zucchini noodles
- In a skillet, melt butter in olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and stir until translucent. Add garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Pour onion and garlic mixture into a blender (I used a Vitamix). Add pumpkin, 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk, 3/4 tsp. salt, pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon (and cayenne if desired). Blend until smooth. If too thick, continue adding evaporated milk until consistency desired. Taste and add any extra salt or seasonings.
- Pour mixture back into skillet and heat over medium until bubbling. Cook until sauce is the thickness preferred. Add in parmesan cheese and let melt.
- Add in cooked and drained pasta. Toss to coat. Serve with extra parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
I’ve never tried a savory pumpkin recipe, but I’m going to have to change that. This looks absolutely delicious!
Sarah @Whole and Heavenly Oven says
Oh my goodness, I’m ALL over savory pumpkin and you totally nailed it in this gorgeous pasta, Jen! Seriously need this for dinner tonight!!
This was my first savory pumpkin recipe. I substituted ground clove for the ground nutmeg, and actually only used 1.5 cups of evaporated milk (only had one can, oops!). The result was a very creamy, sticky sauce, which was fine with me because I used penne pasta noodles. It was absolutely delicious. I will definitely repeat it throughout the holiday season. Thanks for this one!
YAY!! Thanks for the nice comment – so happy you liked it!