Looking for a change from your normal Taco Tuesday? Check out these Creamy Taco Shells! This is a quick 30-minute meal cooked in one pan – ground turkey, black beans, taco seasoning and whole-wheat shells combined to make a hearty, healthy & delicious weeknight dinner!
Creamy Taco Shells
Why, hello gorgeous dinner with healthy ingredients and SO very easy to make! These Creamy Taco Shells are incredibly delicious and make an easy dinner for any day of the week. Taco Tuesday or any day!
(recipe & photos updated from August 2013)
What’s the easiest way to make a taco?
This is kind of silly, but maybe don’t make a taco! Try making taco pasta instead! My Creamy Taco Shell Recipe is a great way to feed your family for a very affordable meal that goes a long way.
When I make this, my kids are so excited about it because they love pasta AND tacos. Win-win!
What kind of pasta is best for these Creamy Taco Shells?
I really love the medium sized shells for this Creamy Pasta Shell recipe because they cook quickly and are easy to find on the shelf at the grocery store. I have to say, it is sometimes hard to find the whole wheat version so do what you can.
I’ve made this with several different kinds of pasta and find it works well with most shell versions.
This meal is so easy! It’s cooked all in one pan and takes only 30 minutes from start to finish. My favorite kind of dinner!
I made my own taco seasoning but you can definitely use any store bought version.
You can omit the ground turkey if you want a meat-free dish or switch it up with ground beef if that’s what you have on hand.
My family really loves this recipe and I’ll definitely be adding it to our dinner and leftovers-for-lunch rotation!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large red onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 4 Tbsp. taco seasoning store-bought or homemade
- 1 28-oz can petite-diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 14-oz cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1 13.25-oz box whole grain medium shells
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 3 ounces light cream cheese
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large saucepan. Add diced onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. Add in taco seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in tomatoes, black beans and water. Add in uncooked pasta. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally until pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Once pasta is cooked, add in cream cheese and sour cream. Stir until combined and creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Scoop into bowls and serve with avocado, cilantro, salsa, limes...you get the point! Enjoy!