Sponsored post written by me on behalf of Smithfield® Prime Fresh Pork. The opinions and text are all mine.
Pork Verde Tacos cooked in the crock pot and served with a drizzle of amazing jalapeño sauce. You will love the flavor in these pork tacos and love how easy they are to make!
If there was only one kind of food that I could eat for the rest of my life, it would be Mexican food. It’s my very favorite thing in the world. Tacos are especially a favorite. I grew up eating tacos all the time. My dad spent some time in Mexico when he was a young man and became very fond of tacos. My mom was a good sport and made them a couple times a month to keep him happy.
I remember thinking then that tacos were a lot of work. She would make the taco meat and then cut up lots of vegetables and fry each tortilla shell in oil one at a time. We would all sit down to eat, except her. She would stand at the stove frying up tortillas until we were all full and then she would eat what was left over. Yep, no denying she was a great mom. 😉
Now as a mom myself, I think back and wonder how she had the patience to do that so often! 😉 Instead, I pull out my crock pot and let it do all the work for me! These Crock Pot Pork Verde Tacos are the perfect dinner that your family will love and you won’t have to spend hours making.
In fact, with the holidays coming up, this is the perfect way to spice up your holiday menu! Why have a boring turkey for your holiday dinner? Try making this Christmas a festive Feliz Navidad celebration with Pork instead! These Crock Pot Pork Verde Tacos are the perfect recipe to change things up this holiday season!
Plus, you’ll be saving yourself loads of time because you won’t be stuck in the kitchen cooking all Christmas Eve or day. Nope! Just toss all your ingredients into your crock pot and enjoy the time with your family during the holiday instead! These are great to serve guests if you’re having company during the holidays and if not, they make fabulous leftovers (my favorite timesaver!).
To make this Pork Verde Tacos recipe, I first went to the Fresh Meat Department at United and grabbed a Smithfield Prime Boneless Center Cut Pork Loin. I browned it in a little bit of oil in a pan and then placed it in my crock pot.
Then I made an easy verde sauce in my blender and poured it right on top of my browned Smithfield Prime Boneless Center Cut Pork Loin. After cooking for about 10 hours on low, I shredded up the pork. Then I served up the pork verde on warmed tortillas with a quick jalapeño sauce that I made in my blender.
My boys devoured it! This Pork Verde Taco recipe is a great way to get the family around the dinner table. Life is crazy and it’s hard to find time to spend together. When I was growing up, my mom made a big deal about us always eating dinner together.
I try to do the same with my kids. It’s an important time for me, as a mom, to talk to my boys about their day at school and what’s going on in their life. With the holidays coming up, it’s nice to spend more quality time together.I love feeding my boys Smithfield Pork. Why? Because not all pork is created equal! Smithfield pork has no growth promotants, no artificial ingredients, added hormones or steroids, is gluten free and a product of the USA! What’s not to love?! Plus Smithfield Prime Boneless Center Cut Pork Loin is 20% more tender than other brands! That really makes these Pork Verde Tacos delicious. Tender, slow cooked pork is the best.
For inspiration on other Smithfield Prime Pork recipes, please visit Smithfield’s website and make sure to check out this link to United Supermarket to get $1 off a Smithfield Fresh Pork Item! Happy shopping and happy cooking!
- 1 onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ - 1 cup water, (enough to thin down and blend)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. cayenne (or less if preferred)
- ½ tsp. Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 jalapeños, seeded
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. pepper
- 2 (4-oz) cans diced green chilies
- 2 (7-oz) cans salsa verde (I used Herdez brand)
- 5 lb. Smithfield Prime Boneless Center Cut Pork Loin
- ½ cup Greek fat-free plain yogurt
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ bunch of cilantro
- ¾ Tbsp. vinegar
- ¾ Tbsp. water, or more if needed to thin down
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1-2 jalapeños, seeded
- Juice from ¼ of a lime
- In a blender, combine onion, celery, garlic, water, chili powder, coriander, cayenne, oregano, cumin, jalapeños, salt and pepper. Blend until consistency desired (much like a salsa thickness). Fold in 2 cans of green chilies.
- In a pan, heat a bit of oil and brown the pork on all sides. Place in crock pot and pour verde sauce on top of the pork. Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours, or until the pork is tender and shreds easily.
- Take pork out of crock pot and shred. Drain about ½ the liquid from the crock pot and place shredded meat back inside the crock pot. Add in the 2 cans of salsa verde and stir. Let heat through.
- Make jalapeño sauce by blending together the yogurt, mayo, garlic, cilantro, vinegar, water, salt, pepper, jalapeños and lime juice. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- When ready to serve, place shredded pork on taco shell and drizzle jalapeño sauce over the top. Also very good with sliced avocado, red onion, cilantro and cotija cheese. Enjoy!
If you liked this recipe, you might like these other pork recipes:
For even more great ideas follow me on: