Avocado Muffins. With Chocolate. That are fudgy. Yessiree! Fudgy Chocolate Avocado Muffins that are eggless and only 188 calories so you feel like you’re eating dessert for breakfast! Hint: you can’t taste the avocado at all! (Thanks to the California Avocado Commission for sponsoring this post!)
Ever since I started working with the California Avocado Commission a couple months ago, I obsess over avocados. Like, dream about them. I can’t wait to get my hands on the big box they send me every month!
I dream up new ways to eat them. Have you ever baked with avocados? As in, put them inside baked goods before you bake them? It seems strange at first because we only really think of avocados in the same line as guacamole or something savory like that.
But let me tell you, they are the BEST to bake with! Why? Because they easily replace eggs, butter or oil in baking recipes and have fewer calories with more health benefits. Trust me when I say that you can’t taste the avocado. Since these are chocolate avocado muffins, you can’t even see the green (maybe a fleck here or there)!
In fact, I made these avocado muffins and gave them to my boys. They didn’t watch me bake them so had no clue they had healthy stuff like greek yogurt and avocado. No joke, they devoured them. I had to stop them from having thirds! When I told them that they had avocado in them, they thought I was joking!
These bad boys are no joke. They’re loaded with healthy proteins & good-for-you fat and are very low in oil and sugar. Only 188 calories per muffin! That’s pretty good for a decadent chocolate breakfast muffin that tastes like it could be a dessert! There are also no eggs in these avocado muffins. I used the avocado in place of most of the oil and the eggs. Pretty cool, right?
And have you seen the fudgy interior? OMG. Perfection!
Now, what are you waiting for? Head out and grab some of your very own California Avocados and make one (or three) batches of Fudgy Chocolate Avocado Muffins! Enjoy!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (can use white whole wheat if desired)
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp. Truvia Baking Blend (or about ¾ cup sugar)
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- 1 avocado, mashed well (about ½ cup)
- 1 (5.3-oz) container fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- ¼ cup canola or coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup chocolate chips, for topping if desired
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, Truvia (or sugar), cocoa, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips.
- In another mixing bowl, mash avocado with fork. Whisk in yogurt.
- Measure out milk, oil and vanilla and pour into avocado/yogurt mixture. Whisk together.
- Combine the flour mixture and avocado mixture until incorporated.
- Scoop into prepared pan, filling about ¾ full. Top each muffin with a sprinkle of chocolate chips, if desired. Place in preheated oven and bake for about 35 mins, until toothpick comes out mostly clean and muffins spring back when touched.
- Let cool and then careful extract from muffin tin and enjoy!
Looking for more yummy muffin recipes? Try these too:
(Thank you to the California Avocado Commission for sponsoring this post!)