Looking for a healthy side dish that’s low-carb and gluten free but tastes delicious? Check out this Greek Spaghetti Squash! It’s super simple to make, healthy and tastes great!
Tuesdays are my least favorite day of the week. My boys have piano lessons and football practice. Doesn’t sound like much, but I feel like my entire day is spent in the car. My two little guys can’t nap because I’m driving the older ones all over the place so they’re always grumpy. It drives me crazy but a mom’s gotta do what a mom’s gotta do.
Anyway, my two older boys go to different schools but the elementary and middle schools are right next door to each other (it’s awesome and I love it!). So to be on time to piano, I have to park right by the crosswalk next to both of the schools and wait for the boys to come out.
So yesterday, I’m waiting for my boys at this meet up spot. I see my nine year old and wave and help him into the car. He’s all sweet and gives me a hug when he sees me. Then I stand there waiting for my eleven year old. He comes walking up with some buddies and I wave and say “Hey!”.
OMG you guys. His face. Turned. RED! He would NOT smile at me. In fact, he completely ignored me as he got into the car. I’m all confused as I pull the car away from the school. As soon as the school is out of view, he’s back to my same old Justin. HA!
I can’t believe he’s already going through this teenage phase! I used to tell him that he wasn’t allowed to act like a teenager and he swore he never would. 😉 Now I totally embarrass him. It’s sad but it’s kind of fun at the same time! I remember my dad embarrassing my older brother on purpose whenever we would go somewhere as a family and it drove my bro cray cray but my dad loved it! I guess parenting has its perks!
Anyway, let’s talk about squash. Love it or hate it?
I happen to like it. I’ve never been one to swap out the real noodles for spaghetti squash though. My brain can’t be tricked into thinking it’s carbs! No, sir. Only the real deal for me. But I do like it as a side dish. This recipe makes quite a big side dish but is great reheated. Or you can easily half the recipe. It’s easy, healthy and delicious. I am all about keeping things simple!
- 1 spaghetti Squash
- 1 onion, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2-3 tomatoes, diced
- about 2 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup chopped black olives, sliced
- parsley, for serving
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º. Cut squash lengthwise and remove seeds from each half. Place facedown on rimmed cookie sheet, sprayed with cooking oil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tomato and sauté until softened.
- When squash is finished, pull out of the oven and let cool for a few minutes. When cool enough to handle, flip squash over and scrape insides of each half with a fork. Little spaghetti-like strands will easily come off the squash.
- Stir squash with sautéed onion and tomato mix. Add olives. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve and enjoy!