Healthy Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Mango Salsa – an easy and flavorful main dish that’s the perfect summertime meal!
Happy Monday! How was your weekend? We were able to see my 10 year old’s buddy play Charlie Brown in the play, You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown. It was so cute! Did you do anything fun this weekend?
The weather has been a little funky lately here, but I’m looking forward to a few warm nights this week to barbecue. I’m super lucky that I get to live in Southern California where the weather is moderate all year long. We barbecue year round, for the most part. Woot!
My husband is usually our grill master. To be honest, I get sort of nervous grilling meats because I’m never sure when they’re done cooking! I’m always afraid of overcooking and/or undercooking. But when it comes to shrimp, that’s my specialty. I always know when it’s done cooking because, duh. It turns from gray to pink. 😉
My boys actually like shrimp, but only if it’s simply made. Not fried or covered in seasonings, etc. That’s one of the reasons why these grilled shrimp skewers are so awesome.
Another reason is because, well, skewers are cool. Everyone likes grilled meat on skewers – am I right?! Yep. And this shrimp is marinated in a simple garlic/oil marinade. It’s quick to make and adds so much flavor to the shrimp. And then there’s the mango salsa, which is crazy easy and can be served on the top or on the side of the shrimp.
These skewers are perfect for entertaining, too. They’re easy, healthy and absolutely delicious. You will love to welcome summer by making a batch of these grilled shrimp skewers! And if you want to try another easy shrimp dish, try this favorite of ours: Orange-Thyme Grilled Shrimp. Can’t go wrong with shrimp on the grill! 🙂
Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Mango Salsa
- 5 Tbsp. olive oil
- 5 large cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice divided
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 pounds large shrimp shelled
- 6 wooden skewers soaked in water for 15 minutes
- 1 bunch green onions thinly sliced
- 2 ripe mangoes peeled and chunked
- 2 jalapeños seeded and finely diced (or less depending on heat preferences)
- 1/2 of a bunch of cilantro leaves only, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over low heat. Add sliced garlic and cook until soft. Add 1 Tbsp. lime juice, pepper and salt. Let cool.
- Thread shrimp onto soaked skewers and place in a 9x13 pan (or something similar). Pour garlic oil marinade over shrimp. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 2-6 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare mango salsa: mix green onions, mangoes, jalapeños, cilantro and remaining 1 Tbsp. lime juice. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat grill to high. Grill marinated shrimp for about 3 minutes on each side. Shrimp will be pink and firm. Take off grill and serve with salsa. Enjoy!
If you liked this recipe, you might like these too:
This recipe was originally shared on I Heart Naptime on March 27, 2014