This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of BeyondMeat. The thoughts and opinions expressed in this blog post are my own. Light Chicken Alfredo – lighter, low calorie alfredo sauce over low carb noodles and healthy BeyondMeat Chicken-Free Strips PLUS a giveaway below!
A few months back, I went to a fundraiser with my husband and my 10-year old son. It was all about sports and getting kids off the couch and active. They auctioned off all this sports equipment, like rooms FULL of signed basketball jerseys, baseballs, hockey sticks, etc. We bid on and won a few items which was exciting for my 10-year old.
Before the dinner and award ceremony, as we walked around the rooms full of signed gear, they had a booth handing out little slider sloppy joes. I was intrigued and tried them. They were sooooo good!
The meat inside was from a company called BeyondMeat and was made from pea protein instead of beef. It had the same protein as beef but was soy free, gluten free and cholesterol free. I couldn’t believe it because it tasted JUST like ground beef! I grabbed a coupon for the product and made a mental note to give it a try at home for my family.
Fast forward to today when I’m sharing this awesome dinner of Light Chicken Alfredo using BeyondMeat Grilled Chicken-Free Strips. This is a delicious and vegetarian dish full of protein and veggies! Even though you can’t see the veggies, they’re packed right there in those chicken-strips!
The BeyondMeat mission is to create mass-market solutions that perfectly replace animal protein with plant protein. They’re dedicated to improving human health, positively impacting climate change, conserving natural resources and respecting animal welfare.
The BeyondMeat Chicken-Free Strips are 100% vegan, cholesterol free, non GMO, hormone free, gluten free and have TWENTY grams of protein per serving (which is big, 6 strips!) and only 120 calories! So. Awesome.
Throw in an unbelievable light homemade Alfredo sauce with some lower carb noodles and you got yourself a pretty awesome meal.
You can find BeyondMeat in several locations. I found mine at my grocery store I go to every week for groceries, right in the frozen food aisle.
You know what else is cool? Investors of BeyondMeat include Bill Gates and Biz Stone & Evan Williams, co-founders of Twitter. Check out BeyondMeat on The Today Show and see exactly how it’s made. Also, check them out in the NY Times! This company is just awesome, looking forward to seeing them grow.
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup 3 oz low fat cream cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese use fresh parmesan or else it will clump up!
- 1 9-oz bag BeyondMeat Chicken-Free Strips
- 10 ounces linguine I like Dreamfield's Healthy Carb Living
- Place pan of water (about 4 quarts) on the stovetop to cook the linguine.
- Place milk, cream cheese, flour, and salt in a blender and blend until smooth. Set out your BeyondMeat Chicken-Free Strips and let thaw.
- In a non-stick sauce pan, melt butter on med-high heat and add garlic. Stir and saute for about 30 seconds. Don't burn it!
- Add milk mixture to the pan. Stir constantly for about 3 or 4 minutes or until it just comes to a simmer. Keep stirring and let it cook for about 6-7 minutes more. It will thicken as it cooks.
- Meanwhile, add linguine to boiling water and cook according to package directions. Place chicken strips on a paper towel and microwave for about 40 seconds, or until heated through. Don't overcook!
- When sauce is thickened, remove the pan from the heat. Whisk in the parmesan cheese and stir it up and then cover immediately. Let stand for 10 minutes before using. It will continue to thicken upon standing. (Also, the sauce thickens as it cools, just re-heat and add a little milk and it will be back to normal again!)
- To serve, place pasta on a plate, top with BeyondMeat Chicken-Free Strips and drizzle with light alfredo sauce. Serve and enjoy!
Looking for more healthy meal ideas? Try these too: