Take that boring tuna sandwich to the next level and make this Mediterranean Hummus Tuna Sandwich Recipe! It’s easy, healthy and super flavorful! Definitely a lunchtime winner! (Thanks to Bumble Bee for sponsoring this post)
I’ve been married now for a whopping 12 years. Sometimes I can’t even believe it’s been that long! When we were first married, we lived in Arizona where my husband and I both grew up. My husband framed houses and went to school for those first few years that we were married. Every morning before he left for work (super early!) he would pack his lunch. And every day it included this: a baggie of tortilla chips, a can of tuna and some carrot sticks. That’s it.
He would crack that tuna can open with a can opener he kept in his truck and eat the tuna straight from the can with the tortilla chips. Can you even believe that?! No mayo, no relish, no fork, just plain tuna from the can. Not my kind of tuna lunch!
To this day, he still eats tuna like that! But he’s broadened his horizons a bit as well and enjoys a good tuna sandwich. 🙂 I always have tuna in the cupboard and I’m always looking for new ways to prepare it.
One day as I was cooking and watching the food network, The Barefoot Contessa made a tuna sandwich with hummus and I was intrigued. Why have I never paired the two together before? So of course I had to try it! With Bumble Bee® Albacore tuna, celery, green onions, cornichons, a tiny bit of mayo, dijon mustard and some cannellini beans piled on top of a layer of hummus on your favorite bread. Then topped off with sliced radishes and you have a fabulous Mediterranean-ish tuna sandwich!
Seriously, this is my favorite tuna sandwich recipe. It is so yummy! Tuna is always my standby healthy lunch ingredient. Bumble Bee® Albacore products are an easy and delicious way to add a variety of nutrients to your diet including lean protein, healthy fat, and important vitamins and minerals.
It always fills me up for hours after eating it. I hope you’ll try this tuna sandwich recipe soon! Make sure to follow Bumble Bee® on Twitter and Pinterest for more tuna recipe inspiration!
Mediterranean Hummus Tuna Sandwich Recipe
- 1 7 ounce Bumble Bee Albacore tuna in oil
- 2 Tbsp. minced celery
- 1/2 Tbsp. diced green onion
- 1 Tbsp. minced cornichons aka mini gherkin pickles
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. reserved oil from tuna
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup cannellini beans
- your favorite bread
- radishes sliced
- Drain the oil from the tuna, reserving the oil. Place the tuna in a mixing bowl and flake it with a fork.
- Add the celery, onion, cornichons, lemon juice, mayo, 1 tablespoon of the reserved oil, mustard, salt, and pepper and mix well. Add in cannellini beans and stir.
- (Can cover and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to develop or go ahead and make the sandwiches if needed.)
- Spread bread slices with a layer of hummus. Spread the tuna mixture on each piece of bread. Top with slices of radish, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
If you liked this sandwich, you might like these too:
Southwestern Grilled Turkey & Cheese
Avocado Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Yummy! I like tuna sandwiches!
Margaret Ann @ MAK and Her Cheese says
Canned tuna is definitely underrated. This looks fabulous!