Ricotta Asparagus Tart – light puff pastry crust with a filling of herbed ricotta, parmesan and romano cheeses, a layer of thinly sliced onions and then topped with asparagus. Sigh. Perfection!
Happy Hump Day! It got up into the 80’s yesterday (I’m not ready for that kind of hot!). But overall, just really starting to feel like spring here. What’s the weather like where you live?
Since it’s finally almost May, it’s asparagus season! I’m loving all the green bundles of asparagus at the grocery store – yum! It’s one of my favorite veggies. When I saw asparagus on this month’s Mystery Dish ingredient list from Krista at Inspiration Kitchen, I knew right away I had to make a recipe using it.
Here are her ingredients: Apricots, Asparagus, Vidalia Onions, Fennel/Tarragon, Chicken, Puff Pastry, Coconut, Cashews, Chocolate and Pineapple.
So of course, asparagus right? I’ve always wanted to make an asaragus tart so I thought, what the heck? Why not? So I used puff pastry and onions from the list to make seriously one of the best things I’ve ever eaten/made. I love this tart so much!
If you’ve ever felt nervous about making a tart because it looks complicated, believe me – it’s not! It’s super easy. The best part is that you don’t have to cook the asparagus ahead of time, it cooks right on top of the tart. Plus the cheeses mix together make one heck of a filling and the onions add such great flavor.
You will not regret making this delicious spring treat! Don’t forget to scroll down to check out what my Mystery Dish friends made this month!
Ricotta Asparagus Tart
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup grated romano cheese
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp. salt or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp. pepper or more to taste
- 1/2 vidalia onion sliced extra thin into circles
- 1 bunch asparagus about 1 pound - bottoms trimmed
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Roll out pastry to a 9x13" rectangle. Fold edges over a bit to create a crust. Move to a parchment-covered baking sheet. Prick a few times with a fork. Place in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta, parmesan, romano, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl. When pastry is done, spread ricotta mixture over the crust. Spread a thin layer of onion circles over ricotta and then line asparagus over the onions.
- Bake until pastry is golden brown and asparagus is tender, about 30 minutes. Slice into long pieces, serve and enjoy!
Here’s what my Mystery Dish friends made with this month’s ingredients:
- Pineapple Cake from I Dig Pinterest
- Tropical Chicken Tacos from Inspiration Kitchen
- Honey Pineapple Chicken Teriyaki Skillet from Flavor the Moments
- Chicken Alfredo Bacon Pastry Pockets from Simply Gloria
- Pineapple Scones from The Pajama Chef
If you liked this recipe, you might like these too: