I am mildy obsessed with quinoa. If you don’t know what quinoa is, get with it!! No, I’m only kidding. 🙂 It’s pronounced “Kin-Wah” and is considered to be a whole grain but it’s actually a seed. It’s one of the most amazing whole grains because it cooks fast, tastes great (and is completely versatile) and provides all 9 central amino acids, making it a complete protein! It’s also gluten-free and cholesterol free and usually is almost always organic. Seriously, what’s not to like?! I’m always on the look out for a new recipe that I can fix my family that’s healthy, filling and if I’m lucky, sneak some veggies into! These patties taste great and are super healthy and filling plus they have little bits of zucchini inside that your kids will probably look right over. 😉
- 2 rounded cups cooked quinoa (see below for cooking instructions)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed dry
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 2 green onions, chopped – including white parts
- 1/2 tsp. Splenda or sugar
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- olive oil for frying
To cook quinoa:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring the water and salt to a boil. Add quinoa and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed and the seeds are tender. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- In the meantime, take a large bowl and mix together the cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, zucchini, eggs, flour, green onions, Splenda, pepper, cumin, salt, garlic powder and the cooled, cooked quinoa.
- Heat a frying pan and a couple teaspoons of olive oil over medium-low heat. Mixture will be a little sticky so use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop it up and drop into pan. Then lightly flatten to 1/2″ thick with the bottom of the measuring cup. It’s best to cook these slowly over medium-low so they set-up and don’t burn. Cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Makes approx. 10 burgers.