Skinny Banana Muffins with a crazy delicious crumble topping! These banana muffins are the best way to use up those brown bananas on your counter and they’re healthier thanks to a few awesome ingredient swaps! (Thanks to Truvia for sponsoring this post!)
The Spring Break countdown is ON!! I can’t even wait. T minus three days until Palm Springs baby!!! Have you already had your spring break? Do you have a family tradition that you do every spring break? Honestly, I’m all good with a staycation because either way, I don’t have to drive kids around to practices/games/lesson/whatever. 🙂
Although I shouldn’t complain because I feel super lucky to be able to stay home with my kids and that I’m able to drive them around.
Yesterday as I dropped my oldest off at his baseball game, I told him I would be late and would miss the first part of the game because I had to do the carpool for batting practice for my 11 year old. He replied “it’s okay mom, you don’t have to come to my game at all if you don’t want to.”
Even though it was sweet that he was giving me permission to miss it, I was taken back by his comment. I truly love to watch his games! I love watching my kids play sports or instruments or just about anything. It makes everything I do as a mom worth it to see them succeed and enjoying whatever they’re doing. It makes me a proud mom!
Do you know what else makes me proud? When I make a super delicious muffin healthier! 😉 Okay, that’s a totally lame transition, haha! But it’s true! I had a bunch of brown bananas sitting on my counter and I was itching to make muffins. My boys get so tired of cereal for breakfast. Muffins shake things up a bit.
These skinny banana muffins have no butter (except a tiny bit in the crumble topping) and are made with applesauce in place of most of the oil. I also used Truvia Baking Blend instead of the sugar to lower the calories and make them healthier.
I love using Truvia in all of my baked goods because you only have to use half of the amount of sugar and you can’t tell the difference! It tastes the exact same as it would if you had used the full sugar amount and yet you’ve saved 75% of the calories!
You won’t believe how moist and flavorful these skinny banana muffins are! The crumble topping gives these muffins an extra bit of crunch and flavor. I love that they use up any of those brown bananas you have. You will never make another muffin recipe ever again!
Skinny Banana Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 bananas
- 2 Tbsp. Truvia Baking Blend or 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. cinnamon applesauce
- 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. melted coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. Truvia Brown Sugar Blend or 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. cold butter
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners (I only get about 10 or 11 muffins per batch).
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl: flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Beat bananas with a mixer until mashed. Add truvia (or sugar) and oil.
- Beat egg and add applesauce into it. Mix together. Pour into banana mixture and mix together.
- Add flour mixture into banana mixture and blend until just incorporated.
- Pour into prepared muffin cups.
- To make the crumble topping: Mix together brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter with fork or your fingers. Sprinkle mixture on top of every muffin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 mins or until toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!