Can you guess? Okay, fine. I’ll tell you. It’s MINE! It’s a pretty big Birthday, too. I’m turning 30 on Sunday!
I hate to say it, but I’m sort of freaking out about it. I can’t believe I’m going to be thirty. In a way, I feel like I’m already in my thirties seeing that I have four kids, one of which is a pre-teen, I’ve been a mother almost as long as I’ve been a kid and I have soooooo many grey hairs, it’s sort of ridiculous (thanks a lot, kids).
To celebrate, my amazing, wonderful, fabulous mother is driving over from Arizona today to be my babysitter so my husband and I can get away on a little romantic weekend vaca. Our 11 year Anniversary is coming up on February 1st so it just sort of works out that we get to have some time together to celebrate both occasions.
My kids are so excited to spend the weekend with Grandma and I’m so excited to spend the weekend in a quiet hotel room, haha! No, I really am though. That and spending much-needed time with my handsome man. The hotel has a heated pool and you can bet your buns I’ll be sitting in it all weekend and I’ll have one of these brownies in each hand.
One of my very favorite things in the whole wide world, is a big chocolatey brownie. It’s one of my favorite desserts EVER. I like cake too, but brownies are by far my #1 pick. Chocolate, chocolate and more fudgy chocolate.
But what’s even better than a big chocolatey brownie? One that’s made skinny and still tastes like the non-skinny kind!
If you try only one skinny dessert from my entire blog, this is the one I want you to make. Amazing.
And then you can cut me off a big slice, and put a candle on it for me. Because if there’s one thing that can get me through turning thirty, it’s a big chunk of brownie!
Skinny Chocolate Brownies
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 ounces semi-sweet or milk chocolate chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 8x8 square pan with cooking spray then line with a strip of parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides. Spray paper with cooking spray, too.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda.
- In another medium bowl, stir together brown sugar, applesauce, greek yogurt, melted chocolate, eggs and oil. Add the flour mixture and stir until just moistened.
- Spread batter in prepare pan. Sprinkle the top with the chopped chocolate pieces.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached, about 30-35 minutes.