This Skinny Baked Mexican Flautas Recipe is made lighter with a few ingredient swaps. Whole Wheat tortillas are filled with ground turkey, corn, black beans, refried beans, cheese, and spices. Then baked instead of fried. Super yummy healthy dinner recipe!
TGIF! It’s finally Friday! We have a big weekend ahead with a baseball championship game and two baseball team parties. Tonight is my oldest son’s 8th grade dance. (eek!) I can’t believe I have one going into high school! They grow up so fast.
Sometime over the weekend, I’m making Mexican flautas. Why? Because I’m currently obsessed with them. I love me some good Mexican food! In fact, I’m a Mexican food fanatic. I could eat it for just about every meal. But most of my favorite dishes are deep fried or covered in a delicious sauce aka lots of calories.
Because of this, I’m always trying to find ways to make my favorite dishes skinnier. My boys will eat just about anything if it’s wrapped in a tortilla. I’ve made every kind of taco, burrito and quesadilla recipe but I think my boys are getting a little tired of having those for dinner.
I decided to change it up and make a flautas recipe, also known as rolled tacos.
Honestly, I made these a few times and kept calling them taquitos but one of my friends told me the correct word for a rolled taco in a flour tortilla is a flauta, not taquito. Taquitos are a rolled taco in a corn tortilla that’s fried. So there you have it, now you know! 😉
I’m not sure if it really makes a difference but either way, these are so delicious! I made them “skinny” by using ground turkey instead of beef. I made a homemade taco seasoning instead of the sodium-filled packets of taco seasoning.
I added low-fat refried beans, black beans and corn for more added fiber and nutrients. I also wrapped these in whole wheat flour tortillas instead of white and baked them in the oven instead of frying.
I LOVE this Skinny Mexican Flautas Recipe! I’ve made them so many times this month. They have the best taco flavor and are very filling. Plus they’re definitely a kid pleaser! My boys love them!
Skinny Mexican Flautas Recipe
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup canned corn drained
- ½ cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- fat-free refried beans
- shredded cheese
- whole wheat tortillas
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- In a large skillet, saute turkey until cooked through. Add chili, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add water and simmer until water is evaporated.
- Stir in corn and black beans to turkey mixture. Set aside.
- Spread refried beans down the center of tortillas. Top with ground turkey mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Roll up tortillas, from one end to the other end. Place seam side down on a cookie sheet. Repeat with all tortillas.
- Spray the rolled tortillas with cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 mins in preheated oven, or until tortilla is golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you liked this yummy dinner recipe, be sure to try these too:
(This recipe was originally posted as a guest post on Lil Luna 5/2/16)