This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons Companies. The opinions and text are all mine.
Ditch the store-bought ice cream sandwiches and make this homemade Skinny Waffle Ice Cream Sandwich recipe instead! This dessert recipe is a fun treat that’s lower in calories, sugar & fat. The waffle cookies are made with lighter ingredients and uses Open Nature® Scandal-less Light Ice Cream for a healthier ice cream filling. Yum!
Waffle Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
I can’t believe how delicious these Skinny Waffle Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches are! Or maybe I should say were because they were straight up GONE within a matter of minutes! They are so easy to make, have only a few ingredients and use the best ice cream from Open Nature for a light and creamy filling.
Howdy ya’ll! I’m super excited to say that my family and I made the plunge and moved to Texas about a month ago from California. We’re so excited to be here! I miss the beach but we traded up for a nice house with an amazing backyard and pool. 🙂 Texas is absolutely gorgeous, very green and spacious. Not what you would probably think it would look like if you’ve never been here.
But the heat is something my family and I aren’t very used to. My husband and I are originally from Arizona so I’m used to heat but that’s a dry heat. Texas is humid and can be downright muggy.
I’ll admit that even though it’s summertime and I should be super focused on eating healthy, I’ve been making lots of cool desserts lately. If you follow me on Instagram, you saw me and my youngest making whole milk ice cream last week on Instagram stories!
How do you make waffle cookies?
In order to be healthier, I decided to switch things up and make some lighter “skinny” desserts, like these Skinny Waffle Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches! Have you tried Scandal-LESS Light Ice Creams from Open Nature?
I shopped Open Nature at my local Tom Thumb Supermarket, but you can find these exclusive products at all Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, Safeway, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Shaw’s, Star Market, United Supermarkets and Carrs/Safeway.
Do yourself a favor and grab every flavor you can find! My store had so many flavors, it was hard to choose! Open Nature Scandal-less gives you:
- Guilt-free indulgence
- Between 60-80% less calories than regular ice cream!
- Has 40-50% less fat than regular ice cream.
- Between 240 and 370 calories per pint.
- No artificial colors, flavors, clean ingredient deck.
Yep! I’m a forever fan!!
E-Commerce AMAZING offer!
Save $1.00 with your purchase of participating O Organics and Open Nature ice cream products with the Promo code: ICECREAM
Offer Details: Add 1 participating item to your cart and enter Promo Code: ICECREAM at checkout. Limit 1 code per transaction. Order must be delivered by 8/06/19. Enjoy!
I decided on the Sea Salt Caramel Light Ice Cream and Vanilla flavored Light Ice Cream for my waffle cookie ice cream sandwiches. I know my boys love the vanilla flavored and my husband and I adore the sea salt caramel. You have options when you’re buying light ice cream like this. Why choose Open Nature® Scandal-less Light Ice Cream products?
They’re quality items available at a value, exclusively available in our stores. Plus, there are new flavors to enjoy! Open Nature Scandal-less light ice cream is a low calorie, low fat, high-protein, “better for you” ice cream option.
Can you make cookies in a waffle iron?
Yes! Waffle Irons make a great oven for cookies! Not to mention you don’t need to heat up the whole house to bake cookies. Because this ice cream is better for you, I didn’t want to make a waffle cookie that would add tons of extra fat or sugar.
Instead, I went with a light waffle cookie that uses applesauce and light butter to keep the calories to a minimum. I love making waffle cookies with my kids because not only can they help mix and measure ingredients but they love to take an ice cream scooper and place the waffle cookie batter into the waffle iron.
How do you make an ice cream sandwich?
SO EASY! Once your waffle cookies are done, pull them from the waffle iron carefully. I usually have my kids take an ice cream scooper and scoop the different flavors of Open Nature Scandal-less light ice cream in-between the cooked (and warm!) waffle cookies and squishing them between the two warm waffles. They love eating their melty concoctions out by our new pool. 😍
If you loved this delicious dessert, then be sure to check out some of my other similar cookie recipes:
- Chocolate Waffle Cookies
- Healthier 3-Ingredient Fudgy Chocolate Cookies
- Healthy Banana Cookies (flourless & eggless)
- Double Chocolate Avocado Cookies
Here’s the recipe for my delicious Skinny Waffle Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe:
Skinny Waffle Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
- Waffle Iron
- 2 Tbsp. light butter softened
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter softened
- 1/3 cup Truvia Baking Blend (or 2/3 cup granulated sugar)
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cinnamon applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 pint Open Nature® Scandal-less Light Ice Cream - Sea Salt Caramel Flavor
- 1/2 pint Open Nature® Scandal-less Light Ice Cream - Vanilla Flavor
- In a Kitchen-Aid or similar mixer, combine the two butters, two sugars, applesauce and vanilla extract. Blend until creamy. Add egg and mix.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt and pour into butter mixture. Mix until combined.
- Heat waffle iron. Spray with canola oil. Using an ice cream scoop, place one medium sized scoop onto each square of the waffle iron. Close the lid and let cook for about 3 minutes, timing depends on your waffle iron. You can pretty much smell when they're done.
- Lift lid and carefully peel cookies off the waffle iron.
Making Waffle Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches:
- While the waffle cookies are warm, take a scoop of ice cream on one waffle and top with another waffle. Squsih together like a sandwich and serve. Enjoy!