Southwestern Quinoa Stuffed Peppers Recipe – pasilla peppers filled with black beans, quinoa and spices then cooked in a flavorful tomato sauce. Vegetarian, gluten free, clean-eating and absolutely delicious!
Happy Monday! Did you have a good Valentine’s Day? After all my ranting in Friday’s post, I ended up going out to dinner and celebrating Valentine’s Day, ha! Oh, and I also went to the beach too.
Are you jealous? 😉
It’s hard to think that others are dealing with snow and cold temperatures when we have had (and usually do have) the most beautiful weather. It was 81 degrees on Friday! The beach was amazing and I even got a little tan.
Okay, okay. I’ll stop bragging.
I’ve got the best Meatless Monday recipe for you today: Southwestern Quinoa Stuffed Peppers.
This stuffed peppers recipe isn’t your normal stuffed peppers recipe. I’m not a huge bell pepper fan so instead of using those, I used pasilla peppers. Have you ever had a pasilla pepper before? I was talked into buying them one day when I was at the grocery store.
The gentelmen that works in the produce section saw me eyeing all the peppers (there are a ton of different kinds, people!) and when I told him I was thinking of doing a stuffed pepper recipe, he told me how much he loves pasilla peppers.
I’d never heard of them but decided to give them a try and I ended up loving them too. They’re sort of a favorite around here now. My husband will roast them on the grill and we’ll eat them as a side dish. They’re a mild pepper, similar to the poblano so feel free to swap them out for poblanos in this recipe.
I’m on a roll with stuffed peppers recipes. I just shared this chili relleno casserole last week and now these. But it’s a good thing, guys. These peppers are SO good. Honestly. They’re vegetarian, gluten free and a clean eating recipe. They’re super easy to make and have so much flavor.
The peppers are stuffed with a yummy mixture of black beans, quinoa, a little diced onion and spices. Each pepper is placed on a delicious tomato sauce and topped with some cheese and baked. When cooked, the peppers are crisp-tender and the filling is so ridiculous. You won’t even know you’re eating something healthy!
Whenever I’m stumped on what to make for dinner, my husband will tell me I should make “those quinoa stuffed peppers. Those were good.” So, yeah. Make them for dinner. Tonight.
Southwestern Quinoa Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 1 28-oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 onion
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 green pasilla chili peppers or other similar pepper such as a poblano pepper
- 1 1/2 cup quinoa cooked and cooled
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- In a blender, puree tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno, onion, salt and pepper. Pour into the bottom of a 9x13" pan and set aside.
- Cut peppers in half and discard any seeds.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, stir quinoa, black beans, onion, cornmeal, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder and water together.
- Stuff each half pepper with quinoa mixture and place in tomato sauce in baking dish. Top each pepper with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Then take off foil and bake for 5-10 more minutes, until cheese is bubbly. Serve and enjoy!
If you liked this healthy dinner idea, you’ll love these too:
Other Stuffed Peppers Recipes from Friends: