This is one of the easiest spaghetti dinners I’ve ever made, and no, the sauce did not come from a jar, although…I guess technically that would be the easiest spaghetti dinner ever…but whatevs. This is awesome and so easy! I clipped this out of a newspaper food section YEARS ago and have manipulated it many ways and it always works! Absolute foolproof! 😉 The sauce is a yummy thick bolognese and has so much flavor but takes only a few minutes to throw together for a yummy weeknight meal.
- 8 ounces whole-grain thin spaghetti
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp. minced garlic (approx. 2 cloves)
- 1/2 pound mild or hot italian sausage (or ground turkey, but I love the flavor of the sausage!)
- 1/2 cup red grape juice, cranberry juice, apple cider OR chicken broth, I’ve tried many different ways and they all seem to work. (recipe I adapted calls for 1/2 c. red wine or dry white wine)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes (I usually get petite diced because my kids hate big chunks of tomatoes)
- 1 (6 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. dried italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus some for serving
Prepare the pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Peel and finely chop your onion and garlic and add to the pan. Cook until onion is softened, about 2 minutes and then add your sausage (or turkey), breaking it up as you stir. Cook until meat is cooked through and the onion and garlic are tender. Add the juice, broth, or wine to the pan and stir to loosen any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add the canned tomatoes and their juice, tomato paste, sugar, and italian seasoning. Stir to combine and then reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in the parmesan cheese and continue to cook until pasta is ready. (Sauce can simmer on low for up to 30 minutes, if necessary.) Serve over hot, cooked pasta with a little extra parmesan sprinkled on top. ENJOY!!
I hope you could post healthy easy recipes for Vegans too! 🙂
Mallory Nikolaus says
Looks delicious!! Pinned 😉