Weekends are not usually very relaxing around here. They’re full of baseball games, Birthday parties, and going from one place to the next. This is what having older kids is like. Lots of things going on every day. I sometimes miss the days of no schedule; lazy park days, fun playdates and kids being in bed by 7pm . No homework, just play.
But raising older kids does have its perks. They keep you entertained by saying hilarious things, talking with you and telling you things that happened during their day. Their pastimes are pretty fun to watch, too. It’s challenging but rewarding to be raising the next generation.
This weekend was a rarity for us Los Angelens (is that a word?) It rained. All. Weekend. Long. All the baseball fields were flooded so all the games were cancelled!
What does this mean for us? A fun weekend of family time! We just hung out! Oh, and we went to Costco, too! It was a nice change of pace. Good thing because this week it starts back up again. 🙂
If you’re nodding your head about being busy busy busy, then this is the perfect meal for you. Simple baked potatoes but cooked right in the crock pot! Have you ever cooked a baked potato that way? It makes it nice and easy to do it before you leave the house in the morning and also doesn’t heat your house up by using the oven.
You can cook the potatoes in as little as 2 1/2 hours or as long as 10 hours so it gives you a lot of room to work with. The sauce is a super quick cream cheese and salsa mixture that is really tasty. I used spicy salsa so the sauce had a kick to it and I used it in place of butter so it’s a bit healthier. Add all your toppings just like you would with a taco and lunch or dinner is served!
Taco Style Crock Pot Baked Potatoes
- 6 potatoes
- olive oil & sea salt if desired
- 6-8 oz. Neufchatel cream cheese cream cheese
- 15- oz jar salsa
- cooked chicken shredded
- grated cheese
- black beans
- sour cream
- green onions
- basically any taco topping you like!
- Wash and scrub potatoes until clean. Prick all over with the end of a fork. You can either rub them with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt or leave them as is, wrap them individually in tin foil, and place inside crock pot.
- Cook on High 2 1/2 - 4 hours OR Low 8-10 hours, or until fork goes through easily.
- When potatoes are close to being finished, place your cream cheese in a small pan and pour the salsa over it. Cook on low heat, stirring, until ingredients melt and blend together.
- Take potatoes carefully out of crock pot and remove foil. Cut a slit down the middle, from one end to the other. With the potato in your hand, take your middle finger and thumb and squeeze the ends of the potatoes to make the potato open pretty for you so you can add all your toppings!
- Pour creamy salsa over potato and add black beans, cheese, chicken, tomato, green onions, cilantro, etc. Enjoy!