Avocado Hummus with Homemade Pita Chips – you will go crazy for the combo of avocado, garbanzo beans and spices! Dip in some easy homemade pita chips, and you have yourself a healthy, flavorful snack! (Thank you to the California Avocado Commission for sponsoring this post!)
Hello there! I’m super excited today because not only do I have one of the most delicious recipes to share with you, (courtesy of amazing The California Avocado Commission) BUT my site got a little facelift!! Do you like it? It’s kinda fun, right? It’s colorful and sassy – just like me, lol! 😉 I think it represents my personality well. I hope you like it too!
As for this recipe, let’s talk hummus. Have you ever made homemade hummus before? I have and while it was easy, I hated buying tahini and other random weird ingredients for it. I like to mess around with hummus recipes and try new things, like Ranch Hummus or this Avocado Hummus.
I’m a huge fan of garbanzo beans. I can literally open up a can, drain them and eat the entire thing. Actually I’m like that with all beans. I don’t bean discriminate. 😉
Of course I love avocados too. Who doesn’t, right? So I threw this match made in heaven together in a food processor and blended them up with some spices, olive oil and cilantro. So this Avocado Hummus has a little Mexican kick from the cilantro while adding some more green color, too.
It’s seriously the best hummus I’ve had! It only takes minutes to whip up but has so much flavor packed inside.
The homemade pita chips are a similar story. They take only a few minutes to prepare. I love to use homemade pita bread but store bought is great too. You just spread them with olive oil and then cut them into triangles. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and pop them in the oven for a few minutes. That’s it! Homemade Pita Chips to dip into your homemade Avocado Hummus!
This is such a great snack for any time of the day. I also love spreading it onto bread instead of mayo for sandwiches. It’s the perfect versatile dip or spread. I hope you like it, too!
Avocado Hummus with Homemade Baked Pita Chips
- 1 avocado peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, drained (reserve liquid)
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large pita breads white or wheat
- kosher salt
- garlic powder if desired
- Combine avocado, drained beans, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon juice and cilantro in food processor.
- Blend on medium speed until combined. Add bean liquid slowly, a little at a time, while blending until desired consistency is achieved.
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Spread olive oil liberally onto both sides of each pita bread. Cut each pita in half and then each half into fourths.
- Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Put into preheated oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
- Serve pita chips with avocado hummus and enjoy!
If you liked this recipe, try these too:
(Thank you to the California Avocado Commission for sponsoring this post!)