Cabbage Roll Casserole is much easier than making traditional cabbage rolls! This yummy casserole is slowly baked and full of ground beef, rice and cabbage in a light tomato sauce. Hearty, simple to make and delicious!
“Another casserole?” This is what my older kids say when I pull yet another casserole from the oven. 😉 But then they always devour it and compliment me on how delicious it was. So I’ve concluded that casseroles are pretty much the best invention EVER. (Me likey compliments on my cooking!)
Sometimes they’re not much to look at, though. Like this cabbage roll casserole. It may not look like a hearty, filling, flavorful casserole – but believe me when I say that it’s better than it looks, lol!
When my schedule is crazy, it’s nice to be able to throw a few simple ingredients together in a casserole dish and throw it in the oven. Even though this casserole takes a little bit of time to cook, it’s worth it in the end!
If you’ve ever eaten or made cabbage rolls, you know how time consuming they can be. If you haven’t ever had them before, it’s basically a piece of cabbage filled with a meat filling and rolled together like a burrito and placed in a dish. You repeat the process until the dish is filled and then top with tomato sauce and bake. It can take for-ev-er to fill and roll those little suckers.
This beef cabbage roll casserole takes all that yumminess of the traditional cabbage rolls but without all the work! This is on my meal rotation list and I will continue to annoy my kids with at least one casserole a week. Muahaha! Enjoy!
Beef Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 28-oz can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 3 1/2 pound head cabbage chopped
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 14-oz cans beef broth
- monterey jack cheese for serving
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 9x13" pan (or two smaller dishes) with cooking spray.
- Brown beef and soften onion in a saucepan on the stovetop. Drain if needed. Dump into a large bowl.
- Add tomato sauce, cabbage, rice, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir together and pour into prepared pan(s). Pour beef broth over the top of casserole. Do not stir. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Take off foil, stir, recover with foil and cook an additional 30 minutes, or until rice and cabbage is tender.
- Serve as is or with a sprinkling of monterey jack cheese on top! Enjoy!
Looking for more yummy dinner ideas? Check out these casseroles: