Not only is it Friday, but it’s a Friday with an extra day off! I love three day weekends.
Except of course, when I’m going to be moving all weekend! Not fun, but I’m super excited to be moving into a bigger, cuter home in a great neighborhood with awesome schools. So even though moving is a pain, I’m looking forward to it!
You know what’s NOT a pain? These Whole Wheat Blueberry Scones! They use one bowl and take only a few short minutes to whip up. They’re healthier than most scone recipes and taste amazing!
This month’s Mystery Dish was hosted by my good friend, Andi from The Weary Chef. I love Andi! She and I text usually every day. She’s pretty awesome, friends. If you haven’t had the chance to check out her blog, then you need to head over asap. She chose these ingredients:
gluten-free flour (coconut, rice, almond, etc.)
red pepper flakes
cornThe ingredients that stood out to me were blueberries, applesauce and milk. I was about to make a blueberry breakfast cake and then last minute decided to make scones.
There’s this bread place near where I grew up that has the most amazing scones. Scones seem more healthy than a donut, but in my opinion taste just as good. Especially with a yummy icing drizzle on the top like these ones.
I used white whole wheat flour, then nixed some of the butter and replaced it with applesauce. I also used Truvia Baking Blend instead of sugar. Truvia is the bomb. I use it in all my baking. These came out very tasty! It was two thumbs up from my family.
Scroll down for the recipe for these awesome scones, as well as a chance to win a couple awesome cookbook’s from the winner’s of the last two seasons of Masterchef. Good luck!
Whole Wheat Blueberry SconesPrint Pin Rate
- 3 1/4 c. white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter cold
- 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 c. buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. Truvia Baking Blend
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 - 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. Truvia Baking Blend
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper, or spray with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda with butter, using your hands to break up the butter and lightly combine. Will be chunky.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in applesauce, buttermilk, Truvia, and beaten egg. Lightly mix together. Before mixture is completely combined, add in blueberries and lightly fold. Dough should be fairly stiff and not sticky. If it's sticky, add a bit more flour.
- Split dough in half and make into two round 6" discs. Place on prepared pan and flatten a bit with your fingertips.
- Drizzle tops with lemon juice, then sprinkle with the other 1 Tbsp. Truvia.
- Cut into 8 slices each circle, for a total of 16 OR 4 slices each circle, for a total of 8 scones. Bake for 18-20 mins or until tops are golden brown.
- Let cool a bit and then mix together powdered sugar and milk and drizzle over the tops of each scone. Serve and enjoy!
- Tuna Tacos with Avocado Corn Salsa by The Weary Chef
- Blueberry Scones by Yummy Healthy Easy
- Parmesan Crusted Tilapia by Culinary Couture
- Minty Berry Fruit Roll Ups by I Want Crazy
- Baked Blueberry Donuts by Chez CateyLou
- Hearty Minestrone Soup by Joyful Healthy Eats
- Blueberry Lemon Pannacotta with Pistachio Tuilles by Flavor the Moments
- Minty Turkey Meatballs with Quinoa by The Pajama Chef
- Blueberry Crumb Coffee Cake by I Dig Pinterest
- Pistachio Drop Scones with Blueberry Compote by The Well Floured Kitchen
- Grilled Corn & Blueberry Flatbread with Whipped Goat Cheese, Pistachios, and Basil Vinaigrette by Baking a Moment
- Pistachio Crusted Tilapia and Peach Salad by Blahnik Baker