When I was a kid, we had steamed zucchini all the time. It’s probably my dad’s favorite vegetable. I love zucchini! My kids? Well, they sort of hate it. I have to completely disguise it for them to even try it. And not to sound whiny, but it’s the worst when you’ve spent time making your kids something and then they turn up their noses at it without even trying it!
So, let’s just say I’m always coming up with clever little ways to add veggies into main dishes, or just to disguise veggies into vegetable side dishes!
Like this mac and cheese with squash that I make all the time (sneaky, right?!). Or these zucchini fries with ranch that are coated and baked so you can’t tell they’re really zucchini. Oh and these chocolate cookies that have avocado in them! Yeah, I’m pretty darn sneaky. 😉
But there’s just something great about a casserole. This zucchini casserole has only a handful of ingredients and I’ve healthified it so it doesn’t have an entire stick of butter, like I’ve seen some of these casseroles have.
Since it has four eggs, it has lots of protein. It’s hearty and filling but is meatless. It’s a great way to use up some of that abundance of zucchini if you have a garden overrun with them. And best of all, it tastes great!
- 1 1/4 lb. zucchini sliced & teamed (I microwaved in a steamer for 4-5 mins)
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 2 Tbsp. chopped green onion
- 2 cups Monterey cheese
- 1/2 - 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Mix together eggs, milk, baking powder, salt, flout and green onions in a mixing bowl. Fold in steamed zucchini and cheese.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish and top with bread crumbs. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 mins, or until the eggs are cooked through and top is golden brown. Dish up and enjoy!