Easy Balsamic Chicken recipe with a caprese twist! Chicken breasts are cooked until tender in a flavorful balsamic sauce then topped with mozzarella, basil & tomato. Low carb and gluten free!
If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I got to spend the weekend before last in Palm Springs with some of my favorite girlfriends! It was ridiculously fun.
I felt guilty about leaving since I had just (no, seriously JUST) come home from Chicago the day before and Santa Barbara the weekend before that (THREE trips in ONE week, guys!). My husband is a good sport and let me go.
So when I was in Palm Springs, I was chatting with my friend Emily on the way to the outlets and she was telling me about a recipe that her family loves. She said it wasn’t the healthiest but maybe I could fix it and give it a YHE spin. 😉
So I took the challenge. Of course I did! Her recipe was for balsamic chicken sandwiches. Sandwiches sound amazing but add unnecessary carbs. So I threw the sandwich idea aside.
Also, her recipe had a lot of brown sugar in the balsamic sauce. I subbed Truvia Brown Sugar Blend in its place and the sauce was ah.maz.ing. I pan cooked the chicken and let it simmer in the sauce until cooked through and tender and then I baked it with a slice of mozzarella cheese, a sprig of basil and a slice of tomato on top. My boys absolutely loved this balsamic chicken recipe!
The chicken is tender and the caprese combo on the top is like icing on the cake. It adds so much flavor. If you try one dinner on YHE, try this! It is so delicious!
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts (about 5-6 pieces)
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup low sodium-chicken broth
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. Truvia Brown Sugar Blend (or about 6 Tbsp. brown sugar)
- sliced tomato
- sliced mozzarella
- fresh basil
- In between two pieces of plastic wrap, pound chicken breasts to ½" thick. (Mine were large, so I cut them in half). Salt and pepper both sides.
- Heat oil in saucepan on medium-high. Brown chicken on both sides. Reduce heat to medium-low and add garlic.
- Cook until garlic is tender, being careful not to burn it. Add broth, balsamic and Truvia. Turn heat up to medium-high and simmer for 10-12 minutes, covered until chicken is cooked through.
- Preheat broiler. Line baking sheet with parchment. Place each chicken piece on baking sheet. Place a sprig of basil on top of each breast then cover with a slice of mozzarella.
- Broil until cheese is slightly melted. Add tomato slice on top. Heat again until tomato is warm and cheese is melted. Serve as is or with a little extra sauce from the pan drizzled on top. Enjoy!
You might like these recipes too:
Other balsamic chicken recipes from friends:
- Balsamic Grilled Chicken with Spicy Honey Bacon Glaze by The Food Charlatan
- Mustard Balsamic Baked Chicken with Roasted Vegetables by Joyful Healthy Eats
- Blackberry Balsamic Vinaigrette by Sugar Dish Me