Have you ever had a French Dip sandwich? You know, those sandwiches filled with folds of flavorful roast beef slices and a yummy little bowl of broth on the side to dip it in?? Basically heaven on earth.
One of my favorite local diners has these amazing French Dip Sandwiches and I die every time I eat one. There’s something so comforting about a roast beef sandwich on crusty bread that you dip in warm au jus.
I started craving them big time when I was pregnant with my third son and found the best and easiest recipe EVER in a family cookbook (which I later found out was an adapted recipe from Rachael Ray. Thanks Rach!) This quickly became a favorite! Only a handful of ingredients and it takes about 20 minutes from start to finish!
I’ve used all sorts of rolls and bread and found that I love a good baguette warmed and cut into fourths. Using pre-packaged roast beef lunch meat (or cut from your local deli) makes this recipe super easy. The au jus is so flavorful and is the best part of the meal! You will fall in love with these Easy French Dip Sandwiches!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 10-oz cans beef consommé (find it in the soup aisle)
- 1 tsp. steak seasoning like McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning
- ground pepper
- 1 lb. lean roast beef thinly sliced
- baguette cut into fourths or your favorite rolls, for serving
- thinly sliced provolone for serving if desired
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and heat for 1 minute. Add shallots and sauté for 2 minutes. Add flour and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Slowly whisk in beef consommé. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer. Add steak seasoning and pepper.
- Separate roast beef and place in the au jus sauce until warm. Using tongs, place an equal portion of beef on each section of baguette or rolls. Top with a slice of provolone cheese, if desired. Serve with a small bowl of the extra au jus for dipping. Enjoy!
adapted from Rachael Ray
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love these too:
This post was originally published at I Heart Nap Time on February 27th.