This versatile Italian Salsa Verde recipe will add so much flavor to your steaks, fish, crostini, pita chips, the list goes on and on! Not to be confused with the Mexican Salsa Verde, this Italian Salsa Verde is made with Italian Parsley, garlic, lemon zest and juice, capers, Dijon mustard, olive oil and the secret ingredient? Sardines!
I know what you’re thinking. Sardines in salsa? Yep, it’s true! I feel like you either love sardines and grew up eating them or you hate them. I have to admit that I was a bit intimidated. Sardines weren’t really in my food vocabulary, you know?
I’m a pretty adventurous eater though so decided to jump right in. Would you guess that sardines add so much flavor to food? And it’s not a “fishy” flavor. It’s a salty deliciousness that gives that extra oomph in recipes. They’re also a convenient, nutritious protein that tastes great!
Italians love their sardines and that’s why Sardines go so well in this Italian Salsa Verde. You will be surprised that you can’t taste the sardines at all. This Italian Salsa Verde pairs nicely with toasted baguette and cheese but also tastes amazing over a freshly grilled steak or piece of white fish. I can’t wait to try it on all the things!
A few things you do need to have in order to make this recipe, is a good food processor. Mine is really old so I had to make sure to pre-chop the ingredients well beforehand. Also, I recommend heading to your local farmer’s market to grab fresh organic Italian Parsley and lemon. Makes such a difference in this recipe!
With Memorial Day coming up next week, this is the perfect addition to you holiday meal! Heat up your Outdoor Grill and barbecue some steak or fish to take it to the next level. Or serve some toasted baguette slices with cheese and some Italian Salsa Verde for a delicious appetizer. You will love the versatility of it! Enjoy!
Italian Salsa Verde Recipe
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup packed Italian parsley roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 3 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
- 2 tsp. capers drained
- 2 Chicken of the Sea Sardines in Water
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard or more to taste
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- Heat 2 Tbsp, olive oil in a skillet and add garlic. Stir frequently until garlic is fragrant, be careful to not burn! Take off heat and set aside.
- Combine parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, capers, sardines and Dijon mustard in a food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Add olive oil through the top opening while blending until it reaches desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Serve over steak, fish, or on toasted bread with cheese. Enjoy!
If you liked this recipe, you might like these too: