A simply delicious side dish, Mexican Pasta Salad – with black beans, corn, bell pepper, cilantro, tomatoes, and an avocado dressing.
I have a soft spot in my heart for pasta. Well, carbs in general. Carbs are my weakness. 🙂 More than desserts, even!
My favorite kind of carbs are pasta. I didn’t grow up eating pasta salads. The only exposure I had to them when I was a kid, was at parties or potluck get togethers with friends. When I met my husband, I was fully introduced to the wide world of pasta salads. My husband’s mom is the pasta salad queen.
I remember going to his parents house to eat Sunday dinner and his mom would have a gigantic bowl of pasta salad just waiting for me to dig into. I got her recipe, and ever since then have loved making flavorful pasta salads. Like this Best Ever Pasta Salad and this Roasted Asparagus & Mushroom Pesto Pasta Salad – YUM!
This Mexican Pasta Salad is easy, healthy and delicious. I like to use a healthier pasta and then add in lots of fresh veggies. The dressing is made using avocado, Greek yogurt and a little taco seasoning, with other flavorful ingredients. Blend it all together and then drizzle on the top or toss it all together with the pasta and veggies.
It’s great to bring to a potluck, picnic or just eaten as a side dish with dinner. Your family will love this!
Mexican Pasta Salad
- 1 13.25-oz box penne pasta (I love Dreamfield's Healthy Carb Living Pasta)
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 11-oz can corn with red & green bell peppers
- 1/2 orange bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 c. cilantro chopped
- 3 green onions sliced
- 5- oz. cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 avocados pitted and halved
- 3 green onions
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 3 Tbsp. fat free plain Greek yogurt
- juice of 1/4 lime
- 3/4 cup fat free milk
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. taco seasoning packet or homemade
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Pour into a large bowl. Add black beans, corn, bell pepper, cilantro, green onions, and cherry tomatoes. Toss.
- In a food processor or blender, combine avocados, green onions, garlic, cumin, Greek yogurt, lime juice, milk and taco seasoning. Pulse until combined and creamy. If too thick, add a little more milk. Taste and add salt and pepper.
- Serve with pasta salad either by drizzling with sauce (as shown) or toss to coat pasta and veggies. Enjoy!
If you liked this recipe, you might like this too:
This recipe was shared as a contributors post on I Heart Nap Time on June 21, 2014