When I was growing up, we really didn’t celebrate holidays like St. Patrick’s Day. I think with the beginning of Pinterest, came the beginning of taking holidays to the next level. You have so many ideas right at your fingertips!
Whenever I’m waiting for my kids at piano lessons, or sitting in the waiting room of my dentist’s office, I’m usually on my cell phone checking out the latest pins. Every holiday, my pin boards swell with new ideas of things I want to try from bloggers around the web.
I’m sure you’ve seen some sort of cute rainbow jello thing before on there, as it’s not a new concept. I’ve had rainbow jello for years and years! My mom might not have celebrated smaller holidays, but she was awesome at making fun things like rainbow jello! 😉
I am a HUGE jello fan! I love the versatility of it. You can make it a million different shapes, colors and sizes.
One of my favorite fun ways to serve it up for my kids, is in individual serving cups. Last year I posted the recipe for these Layered Jello Cups that I thought were pretty dang darling. I used the same cups to make individual servings of rainbow jello this time and my kids loved them!
I thought it was appropriate to share these on St. Patrick’s Day because who doesn’t love rainbow goodies on St. Patrick’s Day?! But in reality, you can serve these little cups any day of the year and your family or guests will be thrilled!
There are only two ingredients to make these and they’re very easy but a little bit time consuming. One plus about making them in individual cups is that each layer of jello sets up quicker because of the reduced surface area. It takes a little longer for the jello to set up in a larger glass square, rectangular or round dish – but feel free to do it in one of those if you want!
The sour cream/yogurt layer adds such a creamy richness – it’s probably my favorite part about this dessert. And of course a dollop of Cool Whip is the perfect topping! I hope you have a wonderful St. Patrick’s Day!
Rainbow Jello Cups
- 6 3-oz pkg. Jello (rainbow colors)
- 3 cups light sour cream or yogurt
- whipped cream for serving if desired
- For each layer, add 1 cup of boiling water to each package of Jello one at a time. Stir and dissolve Jello.
- Set half of it aside. Using a whisk, stir 1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt into the other half of the Jello.
- Pour the creamy Jello layer into clear plastic cups (I used 7 cups with 5 colors of Jello). To the other half of Jello, add 3 Tbsp. water and set aside.
- When the first layer is set, pour second layer on it. Repeat process for remaining packages of Jello.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love these too: