Comforting and delicious soup filled with sweet potatoes, sausage, kale and small pasta shells. Perfect dinner on a cold fall or winter evening!
Do you remember THIS post I did a month ago for a fun new thing called the Mystery Dish Challenge?
If not, here’s the details in a nutshell: Eleven bloggers will rotate every month in creating a mystery box that includes several ingredients of their choosing. The other bloggers will have to create something yummy using some of those ingredients and then share their creations.
This month we have a guest blogger, Cate and she blogs over at Chez CateyLou. Check out her darling blog and tell her Jen sent ya.
I’m super excited to show you what all these bloggers have come up with because it’s pretty inspiring. We’re all given the same ingredient list of things we can include and yet we come up with totally different ideas. So cool.
This month, I made this delicious soup using two of the ingredients from the box: sweet potatoes and kale.
I’m a total soup person. Even if it’s like 100 degrees outside, I still like a bowl of soup. Is that weird?
Not sure why I love it so much, but I just do. It’s so comforting and delicious. I like adding healthier things like greens and tons of veggies to my soups because shockingly, my kids will usually eat it!
This soup is hearty and healthy. The best part? It doesn’t take long to make. Tons of flavor and short on time. Perfect dinner on a busy day.
Sweet Potato & Sausage Soup - October Mystery Dish
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 2 sweet potatoes about 1 pound peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup small pasta shells
- 4 cups chopped kale
- salt and pepper
- grated parmesan for serving
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft and translucent. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sausage to pot and break up with a wooden spoon. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil then add the pasta. Cook 3 minutes less than the package instructions.
- Reduce to a simmer. Add kale and cook until pasta is tender and greens are wilted, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if necessary. Spoon into bowls and serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on the top. Enjoy!