This delicious Homemade Vegetable Egg Roll Recipe is made healthier by being cooked in the Air Fryer. ?? Filled with healthy broccoli slaw, mushrooms, water chestnuts and Asian spices all wrapped in egg roll wrappers. You will fall head over heels for this egg roll recipe!
Homemade Air Fryer Vegetable Egg Roll Recipe
Are you ready for an egg roll recipe that will blow you away? You will love these homemade vegetable egg rolls! Who doesn’t love a good, crispy, warm egg roll? I honestly don’t know one person that doesn’t. Unfortunately, there are so many calories in fried egg rolls – and the bad thing is you can’t just stop at one!
However, today I’m sharing with you a recipe that will change the way you look at egg rolls. These are air fryer egg rolls!
How to make low calorie homemade egg rolls:
Do you have an air fryer yet? About 4 months ago, after much research, I bought a Cosori Air Fryer and it has changed the way I view all sorts of recipes. You can toss frozen things like chicken nuggets or fries in it, and it will fry it up fast just like it was in an oven. Pretty cool, right? But you can also make things like egg rolls and air fry them instead of frying them in oil.
I’m not sure if you’ve seen my Southwest Avocado Egg Rolls yet, but those are also air fryer egg rolls and lower in calorie. The best part? You won’t even notice they’re not fried in oil! Honestly, the air fryer is the most genius thing EVER, especially if you’re like me and trying to watch what you eat. It is summer after all, right?!
What do you eat egg rolls with?
Great question! It really depends on what kind of egg roll recipe you’re making. For these particular Asian-inspired vegetable egg rolls, I dunked them in coconut aminos. Have you tried Coconut Aminos before? It’s an alternative to soy sauce but without the soy. If you don’t have aminos, regular soy sauce is great.
Another great thing you can add inside or on top off after these is something called Spicy Chili Crisp (or another name is chili oil sauce). My best friend grabbed a bottle one day at the grocery store and could not stop raving over it. So being the foodie I am, I grabbed a jar. It was gone by the next day! You can put it on pretty much everything.
I made this recipe several times in order to get it just right and every time I made them, I added a spoonful of Spicy Chili Crisp on every bite I took. So yummy!
How do you wrap an eggroll?
Don’t be intimidated by wrapping your own homemade egg rolls. You can do it! Follow the directions on how to prepare the filling -it’s very easy and only has few ingredients.
Once you’ve prepared the filling, you’re ready to fold some egg rolls! It’s easy and only takes a few minutes. How do egg rolls stay sealed without eggs? It’s simple. Water! Have a little bowl of water handy to use.
Lay the egg roll wrapper so the points (corners) are on the bottom and top like a diamond. Using your finger, moisten all of the edges of the egg roll wrapper with water. Now, spread a spoonful of filling in the middle of the wrapper. Next, fold the bottom corner of the egg roll wrapper up and over the filling and push the filling tight into the wrapper.
Then each side, one by one over on each other, being sure to moisten each edge with water so it sticks closed. Roll completely closed and moisten any open edges so they stay closed. Finish the other egg rolls and then spray each side with cooking spray. Super easy and oh so worth it!
Like I mentioned, these vegetable egg rolls are pretty much the best snack ever. They’re so good, you can even serve them up for dinner! If you’re looking for some side dishes to round out your meal, try some more Asian inspired food for an awesome complete dinner:
- Healthy Chinese Chicken Salad
- Easy Mandarin Chicken
- Easy Sesame Chicken
- Keto Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Easy Vegetable Pad Thai
If you loved this delicious Homemade Vegetable Egg Roll Recipe, then be sure to check out some of my other similar Snack Recipes!
- Cosori Air Fryer
- OXO Good Grips 12″ Stainless Steel Tongs – perfect for flipping the vegetable egg rolls.
- Bragg’s Coconut Aminos – perfect for dipping the cooked egg rolls in.
Without further delay, here’s the recipe!
Homemade Air Fryer Vegetable Egg Roll Recipe
- Air Fryer
Egg Roll Filling:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 12 ounce bag Broccoli Slaw
- 8 white mushrooms diced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger finely minced
- 1 8 ounce can water chestnuts diced
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/2-1 tsp. chili flakes depending on heat preference
Egg Roll Assembly Items:
- 8 full size wonton wrappers
- 1/4 cup water for sealing the edges
- In a large skillet, add olive oil. When heated, pour in broccoli slaw and cook for a few minutes until wilted. Add in diced mushrooms, garilc, ginger and diced water chestnuts.
- Once all the vegetables are wilted and tender, add in aminos or soy sauce, sesame oil, chili flakes. Taste and add salt and pepper as neccesary. Take off heat and set aside.
- Option: There should be very little liquid in this mixture. If there's too much liquid, make a slurry of 1 Tbsp. cornstarch and 1 Tbsp. water and add to the vegetable mixture to thicken it up and get rid of the moisture.
Assembling the Egg Rolls:
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Meanwhile, lay the egg roll wrapper so the points (corners) are on the bottom and top like a diamond. Using your finger, moisten all of the edges of the egg roll wrapper with water.
- Now, spread a spoonful of filling in the middle of the wrapper, in a horizontal line. Next, fold the bottom corner of the egg roll wrapper up and over the filling and push the filling tight into the wrapper.
- Then each side, one by one over on each other, being sure to moisten each edge with water so it sticks closed. Roll completely closed and moisten any open edges so they stay closed. Repeat with the other egg rolls and then spray each side with cooking spray.
- Place egg rolls inside preheated Air Fryer basket. Fry for 4minutes at 400 degrees then open air fryer and flip them over. Cook another 4 minutes. Carefully pull out of air fryer basket and cut in half. Serve immediately with coconut aminos or soy sauce. Enjoy!