These delicious Cheesecake Factory Copycat Avocado Southwest Egg Rolls are cooked in the Air Fryer and filled with soft, rich California avocados, crunchy sweet red onions, cilantro, sun-dried tomatoes and spices all wrapped in egg roll wrappers. Are you getting hungry, or is it just me?
(Thanks to California Avocado Commission for sponsoring this post!)
Homemade Avocado Egg Rolls
Have you ever come across a recipe that just blew your taste buds out of the water? This Southwest egg roll recipe is it! Whether you need a new and exciting appetizer to share at your next neighborhood cookout or a snack that all your kids will actually agree on, these delicious avocado egg rolls are the perfect fit. Snacktime has officially been upgraded!
These AMAZING California Avocado egg rolls are so packed with flavor that it’s unbelievable! I love a good homemade eggroll–adding a Southwest kick to this classic Asian food creates a whole new experience. With creamy California Avocados and a little kick of chili powder, this easy egg roll recipe is a guaranteed summertime hit. And at just 126 calories each, they’re the perfect snack to keep teenagers full until dinnertime! (For another fun twist on snacks, check out my Easy California Sushi Rolls!)
What really puts these egg rolls over the top is the dip. Seriously, it is SO GOOD. Made with cool, smooth California Avocados, sour cream, and nonfat Greek yogurt, this is a dip that really delivers. A little kosher salt, black pepper, and just a touch of cayenne pepper round out this one-of-a-kind flavor profile.
Avocados have never been more popular, and there’s a good reason for their popularity! Avocados are delicious, versatile, and full of healthy fats. Most people are familiar with Hass avocados. If you’ve eaten an avocado in the US lately, it was probably a Hass!
The variety of avocado that would eventually be called the Hass avocado was discovered by Rudolph Hass in Southern California in the 1920s. They were so well received that they quickly took over the market! Nowadays almost all avocados sold in the US are the Hass variety.
How to Get Perfect Avocados Every Time
Some people are intimidated by shopping for avocados or just guess and hope that they grab a good one. It can be hard to tell a perfect avocado from an underripe one, or even one that’s past its prime. Don’t worry, it’s easy once you get the hang of it!
First of all, of course, make sure you are buying from a good supplier. I’ve worked with California Avocados many times before, and they’re consistently high quality! Remember this Avocado Soup with Crab Topping? How about my Spinach Salad Recipe With Avocados, Berries, and Honey Vinaigrette? I’m serious about my avocados!
You really just don’t get better than fresh California Avocados. Even with a great supplier or shop though, you still need to know what to look for in terms of ripeness and freshness. Here are a few basic things to look for when you’re buying avocados.
- The skin is very dark green (almost black) and could be almost purple
- The outside is uniform, with no cracks or brown mushy spots.
- Hold the avocado in your palm–it should yield to gentle pressure.
- If there is no give and it is very hard to the touch the avocado it is not ripe yet.
- If it is mushy or stays dented when you press on it, it’s too old.
How To Keep Avocados Fresh
Ideally, you should use avocados the same day you bring them home. But life is crazy! It’s not always possible to get to things when we plan them. If you buy a perfectly ripe avocado and then have to hold on to it for a few days, put it in the fridge! The cool temperature will stop the ripening process for about 3 days.
On the other hand, if you need to ripen underripe avocados, store them in a paper bag with an apple or a banana at room temperature. That will help them ripen faster. Otherwise, an avocado will ripen at room temperature over three or four days.
Air Fryer Egg Rolls
If you have ever used an air fryer you KNOW how convenient they are! If you haven’t, allow me to introduce you to your new best friend. I love my Cosori Air Fryer! It’s my new favorite toy.
Air fryers are easy to use, super convenient, and best of all, you don’t need to soak anything in oil to get that crispy, crunchy, flaky crust on your favorite recipes, specifically this homemade egg roll recipe!
Air fryers use superheated air circulating around your food to fry it for you super fast. It’s the perfect cooking method for homemade egg rolls! You get all of the crunch and barely any oil. Tastes great, and healthier too!
If you love your air fryer as much as I do, you’re going to want to try my Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe next!
Egg Rolls vs Spring Rolls: What’s the Difference?
Not only are egg rolls usually bigger than spring rolls, but the taste and preparation are different too. Egg rolls have thicker wrappers, and they’re fried. Spring rolls are smaller, with thin flour wrappers.
Egg rolls are where you usually find meat, seafood, or in this homemade egg roll case, California Avocados! Spring rolls are more likely to contain carrots shavings or other light vegetables.
How to Roll an Egg Roll
Once you’ve prepared the filling, you’re ready to fold some egg rolls! It’s easy and only takes a few minutes. How do egg rolls stay sealed without eggs? It’s simple. Water!
Fold the bottom corner of the egg roll wrapper up and over the filling and then each side, one by one over on each other, being sure to moisten each edge with water so it sticks closed.
Roll completely closed and moisten any open edges so they stay closed. Finish the other three egg rolls and then spray each side with cooking spray.
Southwest Avocado Egg Rolls for Dinner
Like I mentioned, these southwest egg rolls are pretty much the best snack ever. They’re so good, you can even serve them up for dinner! If you’re looking for some side dishes to round out your meal, try some more Asian inspired food for an awesome fusion dinner.
- Chinese Chicken Salad with Easy Homemade Dressing
- Easy Mandarin Chicken
- Easy Sesame Chicken
- Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Easy Vegetable Pad Thai
- Light Shrimp Fried Quinoa
Air Fryer Avocado Southwest Egg Rolls (Cheesecake Factory Copycat)
Avocado Egg Rolls
- 1 1/2 California Avocados diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 2 Tbsp sun dried tomatoes diced
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 4 full size egg roll wrappers
- canola oil spray
- 2 Tbsp light sour cream
- 1 Tbsp non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 California Avocado
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- cayenne pepper to taste
- Mix together diced avocado, cilantro, red onion, sun dried tomatoes, lime juice, salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic powder in a bowl.
- Divide mixture into four sections. Add ¼ of the avocado egg roll mixture into the middle of four egg roll wrappers, placing the wrapper in a triangular position, so one point is facing at the bottom.
- Using a small amount of water, moisten the four outside edges with water (only about ¼ inch, just to moisten so the outer edges will stick).
- Fold bottom corner up and over the filling and then each sides, one by one over on each other, being sure to moisten each edge with water so it sticks closed.
- Roll completely closed and moisten any open edges so they stay closed. Finish the other three egg rolls and then spray each side with cooking spray.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400º F. When ready, pull out the tray and place sprayed egg rolls into the air fryer pan.
- Air fry at 400º for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While cooking, mix together avocado dip ingredients in a food processor. When egg rolls are finished, cut each in half and serve with avocado dipping sauce for a delicious appetizer or snack! Enjoy!
Make sure to pin the image below of these Avocado Southwest Egg Rolls!
For even more great ideas follow me on:
(Thanks again to California Avocado Commission for sponsoring this post!)