Skinny Cheesy Pasta Bake is a delicious layered casserole made lighter by using ground turkey and whole wheat pasta!
This Skinny Cheesy Pasta Bake is a crazy delicious layered casserole made lighter by using lean ground turkey, whole wheat pasta and lighter cheeses. Lighter comfort food is the way to go!
You are in for a treat, my friends. This Skinny Cheesy Pasta Bake is not only tasty but guess what? It’s healthier too! Instead of using ground beef and regular white pasta, I substituted lean ground turkey and whole wheat penne pasta. (Those lower carb pastas also work well, too!) Plus I used low fat sour cream and cheeses to save on the calories, too.
- They’re so easy to make!
- It uses only one dish.
- It can feed a big group (looking at you, boys!) and you’ll most likely have leftovers for lunch the next day. 😉
This Skinny Cheesy Pasta Bake will fill you up and satisfy that comfort food craving at the same time! So many great reasons to make this delicious layered casserole dish!
- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 (26 ounce) jars marinara sauce
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
- 1½ cups reduced-fat or fat free sour cream
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion and carrot until onion is translucent and carrot is crisp-tender. Add the pound of turkey. Cook until it is no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Add spaghetti sauce and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Layer ingredients into prepared baking dish as follows: half the cooked penne pasta, provolone cheese, sour cream, half the sauce mixture, remaining penne, mozzarella cheese, and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheeses are melted, about 30 minutes.
Here’s a few pictures of the layering process:
If you liked this pasta casserole dish, you might like these too:
Cajun Chicken PastaFor even more great ideas follow me on: