Skinny Cheesy Pasta Bake is a delicious layered casserole made lighter by using ground turkey and whole wheat pasta!
This Skinny Cheesy Pasta Bake is a crazy delicious layered casserole made lighter by using lean ground turkey, whole wheat pasta and lighter cheeses. Lighter comfort food is the way to go!
You are in for a treat, my friends. This Skinny Cheesy Pasta Bake is not only tasty but guess what? It’s healthier too! Instead of using ground beef and regular white pasta, I substituted lean ground turkey and whole wheat penne pasta. (Those lower carb pastas also work well, too!) Plus I used low fat sour cream and cheeses to save on the calories, too.
- They’re so easy to make!
- It uses only one dish.
- It can feed a big group (looking at you, boys!) and you’ll most likely have leftovers for lunch the next day. 😉
This Skinny Cheesy Pasta Bake will fill you up and satisfy that comfort food craving at the same time! So many great reasons to make this delicious layered casserole dish!
Skinny Cheesy Pasta Bake
- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 26 ounce jars marinara sauce
- 1 carrot chopped
- 6 ounces provolone cheese sliced
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat or fat free sour cream
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion and carrot until onion is translucent and carrot is crisp-tender. Add the pound of turkey. Cook until it is no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Add spaghetti sauce and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Layer ingredients into prepared baking dish as follows: half the cooked penne pasta, provolone cheese, sour cream, half the sauce mixture, remaining penne, mozzarella cheese, and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheeses are melted, about 30 minutes.
Here’s a few pictures of the layering process:
If you liked this pasta casserole dish, you might like these too:
Cajun Chicken PastaFor even more great ideas follow me on: