(This recipe was originally published in May 2012. It has been updated for content and photos.)
Mom’s Mandarin Orange Salad
We grew up eating my Mom’s Mandarin Orange Salad Recipe a lot and I never realized the difference between this dressing and other similar salad dressings. The dressing on this Mandarin Orange Salad is unlike any other I’ve tried and it is so unbelievably easy!
I love how light and fresh it is. This salad takes just a few ingredients and requires fairly minimal preparation time. Perfect addition to a Sunday meal or to bring along to a party.
What goes well with mandarin oranges?
The great thing about mandarin oranges is that they pair well with many things. You can add them to sweet dishes like this 4-Ingredient Cherry Dump Salad or into a savory dish like this Mandarin Orange Salad.
Not to mention adding them to Jello dishes and so many other great things. They have such wonderful flavor and texture.
How do you make this Mandarin Orange Salad Recipe?
Here’s how easy this salad is to make:
#1 – In a small pan over medium heat, heat almonds and sugar, stirring constantly until almonds are coated and sugar is dissolved.
Watch carefully!! They will burn easily!
These smell amazing, by the way! Set aside to cool and store in an airtight container until ready to mix with salad.
#2 – Mix the ingredients for the dressing. I use a mason jar so that I can shake it all together and store in the refrigerator.
#3 – Chop up your lettuces, celery and green onions.
#4 – Throw everything except the dressing, toasted almonds and oranges into a large bowl and mix together.
Just before serving, add almonds and oranges and drizzle with dressing. Toss to coat and serve!
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think of it! It is definitely a family favorite I make all of the time!
If you love salads as much as I do, you’ll love these recipes:
Mandarin Salad Ingredients
Mandarin Orange Salad Ingredients:
- 1/2 c. sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 c. celery diced
- 1 11 oz. can mandarin oranges drained
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce chopped
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 whole green onions diced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp. ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 dash Tobasco sauce (or other hot sauce)
- In a small pan over medium heat, heat almonds and sugar, stirring constantly until almonds are coated and sugar is dissolved. Watch carefully!! They will burn easily!
- Set almonds aside to cool on a piece of parchment paper and then store in an airtight container until ready to mix with salad.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together. I use a jar so that I can shake it all together and store in the refrigerator.
- Dice the celery and green onions and chop the romaine and iceberg lettuces.
- Throw everything except the oranges, almonds and dressing into a bowl and mix together. Just before serving, add almonds and oranges and drizzle with dressing. Toss to coat and serve!