What Is Beef Stroganoff?
Sometimes you will see it as “Beef Stroganov” but yes it is exactly the same thing. The basics of the recipe is that beef strips are slow roasted then covered in a sour cream based sauce. I also have a crazy delicious Healthy Chicken Stroganoff Recipe that my family loves too that uses yogurt instead of sour cream!
In Russian, the sour cream is called “smetana”. I am not sure that sounds more appetizing than “sour cream” but that may just be me. Either way, sour cream with the pan juices of the slow cooked beef makes an incredibly rich and delicious sauce.
Even when I try to make extra and hope for leftovers, this recipe never fails. It gets devoured until there are leftovers!
This is because Beef Stroganoff succeeds on so many levels. It smells wonderful and tastes so savory and delicious. The texture of the sauce and the noodles complete it. Creamy and rich, it is like the royalty of comfort foods.
Variations On Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
The original recipes for beef stroganoff vary pretty wildly. My recipe favors mushrooms which I think are essential to making the beef so wonderful. If you are not a fan of mushrooms, then of course you can leave them out.
But this slow cooker beef stroganoff may be the dish that changes your mind forever about mushrooms! Check out my other Slow Cooker Recipes for more ideas!
If the texture of cooked mushrooms has been your issue, then the beefy sour cream sauce changes all that. I urge you to keep the mushrooms in and give it a try. You can always set them aside if you don’t like them.
Another one of my favorite mushroom dishes is Chicken Tetrazzini which is a delicious chicken and mushroom mixture served over spaghetti. If you’re a mushroom lover, give that one a try, too!
Some recipes for beef stroganoff suggest cubes of beef. I prefer the strips instead. With the strips, the cooking time is a bit quicker. You will realize how handy that is when everyone sees what is up for dinner.
What Goes Great With Beef Stroganoff?
Traditionally, beef stroganoff actually gets served with thin cut french fries. I know that sounds weird. After all, the noodles offer plenty of starch on the plate.
I tend to prefer a nice green salad or some steamed veggies. Here are some other things I can suggest go really well with slow cooker beef stroganoff:
Yummy Sides to Go with Beef Stroganoff:
Other Crock Pot Beef Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Sandwiches
- Crock Pot Roast with Vegetables
- Crock Pot Beef Stew
- The Best Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup
Browse all the Slow Cooker Recipes
Did you make this Wonton Noodle Soup recipe? rate the recipe and leave a comment below to let me know what you think!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- Slow Cooker
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1 3/4 lb. boneless beef round steak
- 1 10.75-oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 envelope dried onion soup mix
- 8- oz. sliced fresh button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- chopped parsley for serving
- 1 bag egg noodles or brown rice for serving
- Combine flour, garlic powder, pepper and paprika in slow cooker. Cut beef into 1-1/2 inch by 1/2 inch strips. Place in flour mixture and toss until thoroughly coated.
- In medium bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup, water and onion soup mix. Stir until well blended. Pour into slow cooker and mix with beef. Add mushrooms and stir.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH 3 1/2 hours or LOW 6-7 hours.
- Stir in sour cream and cook on HIGH 10-15 minutes or until heated through. We like it served with brown rice or egg noodles! ENJOY!!