Every weekend my boys beg me to make a homemade breakfast for them. 9 out of 10 times they ask for waffles. I’m so cheap and I hate buying pre-made pancake mix so end up making this waffle recipe and they LOVE it! This syrup is always on hand and guess what? I don’t even buy syrup at the store anymore! It’s nice to save a little dough and make something from scratch that tastes SO. MUCH. BETTER.
This weekend is a big weekend for members of my church. There is a big broadcast twice a year in which we get to hear wonderful words spoken by some amazing members of our church. It’s so inspirational and I look forward to those two weekends all year long! I LOVE making a homemade breakfast for my family and then sitting around the computer watching the talks and eating together. I’ll be making these waffles for my family this weekend! 🙂 What’s your favorite breakfast food??
Try these recipes and let me know what you think!
Print your recipe HERE
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks (whites reserved)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup oil
- In a large bowl, mix together: flour, milk, baking powder, salt and oil.
- In a small bowl, separate the egg yolks from the whites, adding the yolks to the mixture in the large bowl. Whip egg whites with a hand mixer until stiff.
- Fold egg whites into waffle mixture and break down big clumps. Cook on waffle iron and serve immediately with buttermilk syrup (recipe below).
BUTTERMILK SYRUP RECIPE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cube butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Combine the sugar, butter and *buttermilk together in a medium size pot (see picture below).
*if you don’t happen to have buttermilk on hand – which I almost never do – mix 1/2 cup milk with 1/2 Tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes to create your own buttermilk.
Bring to a boil…
Now add the vanilla extract and baking soda. Let cool and pour into a serving dish or Mason jar to serve with your waffles! ENJOY!