This Spring Orzo Salad is a beautiful orzo pasta salad filled with orzo, asparagus, toasted almonds, arugula, feta cheese and peas tossed with a delicious vinaigrette. You won’t be able to resist it!
You will just flip for the flavor in this Spring Orzo Salad! It has the best of all the spring produce while maintaining an orzo pasta salad feel.
When you think of pasta salad, you don’t normally think of an orzo pasta salad, right? I’m with you. I usually will do a Tortellini Pasta Salad or penne pasta in a regular Pasta Salad Recipe or even Bowtie Pasta Salad.
But Orzo? Hmmmm. But let me blow your mind. IT’S FREAKING AMAZING!!
Why is Orzo Pasta Salad amazing?!
- The orzo pasta is not as large as most pastas so it’s less carbs and less to chew, lol!
- Because the pasta is smaller, it can almost absorb the flavors of whatever you put into it, aka a vinaigrette dressing.
- Orzo pairs well with pretty much most veggies so is a great pasta for a pasta salad recipe.
One of the great things about this recipe is that you can make it one day in advance and refrigerate. Just make sure to let it come to room temperature the next day and add the toasted almonds before serving.
This amazing and gorgeous recipe includes all the delicious spring flavors that everyone loves.
What are the ingredients in this colorful spring recipe?
- Orzo Pasta
- Green Onion
- Toasted Almonds
- Feta Cheese
BOOM. Right? Can’t you just imagine all those incredible flavors and texture together? They’re a delicious combination!
Great main Dishes to serve this recipe with:
- The Best Chicken Marinade Recipe
- Beef Medallions with Chimichurri Sauce
- Crispy Baked Breaded Pork Chops
- Healthy Baked Chicken Fingers
I can’t wait for our weather to feel more like spring here. In Southern California it’s been what they call “May Gray” even though it’s still April! And then we’ll have “June Gloom”. Ugh. It even rained today!
But what can you do, right?! At least I have this yummy orzo salad that will get me in the spring/summer mood!
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 pkg (1 pound) orzo pasta
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas drained
- 2 cups frozen peas blanched in boiling water for 3 minutes
- 1 bunch asparagus trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces and blanched in boiling water for 3 minutes
- 1 bunch baby arugula
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds toasted
- 4 oz feta cheese crumbled
- freshly ground pepper and salt
- In a mason jar, combine vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper. Cover and shake until blended. Add olive oil, cover and shake until combined.
- In saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. Stir in orzo pasta. Cook until orzo is al dente (according to the package directions). Drain orzo and transfer to a big serving bowl.
- While pasta is warm, add half of the dressing and toss to coat. Let cool. Add drained chickpeas, peas and asparagus. Toss to combine.
- Add arugula, green onion, parsley and any extra dressing needed and toss to coat.
- Top salad with almonds and feta cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and refrigerate any leftovers. Enjoy!