Take those boring stuffed peppers to the next level by turning them into a stuffed pepper casserole!
Stuffed Bell Pepper Casserole
When I was a kid, my mom made stuffed bell peppers all the time. They’re one of my dad’s favorite dishes – he loves bell peppers. (We loved stuffed anything, like Healthy Grilled Turkey Stuffed Peppers or Baked Stuffed Tomatoes)
After I got married, I made them for my husband. He loves them. But… wouldn’t it be great to have the filling without all that bell pepper?!
My mom’s stuffed bell pepper recipe was morphed into this stuffed pepper casserole. Leaving behind the bulk of bell peppers and cooking them until softened along with garlic, onion, ground turkey and spices. Oh, and rice of course!
What rice should I use for this casserole?
My favorite rice is brown rice. I always have a box or bag of brown rice in my pantry. I like to make a big batch of rice and keep leftovers in the fridge.
This is the perfect way to use up leftover rice! You can always use white rice as well.
Why I adore this Stuffed Pepper Casserole
This Stuffed Bell Pepper Casserole Recipe is much easier to make and just as good, (maybe even better!) than stuffed peppers.
I also love this recipe because it’s an easy way to make a bigger dinner if you have a large family or if you have company coming over.
This casserole makes amazing leftovers!
This Stuffed Pepper Casserole stays good in the fridge for several days if covered. And yes, freezer friendly (see below!)
This is honestly one of my boys’ favorite dishes. When they ask what’s for dinner and I tell them Stuffed Pepper Casserole, they get so excited!
Can I freeze this Stuffed Pepper Casserole?
Yes! Make this recipe as you normally would. Let it cool. Place in a freezer safe container and wrap tightly.
To serve: thaw in the fridge overnight and then just re-heat!
It’s an incredibly easy and versatile recipe everyone will love.
What if I have extra bell peppers?
Besides making this stuffed pepper casserole, I have several great bell pepper recipes here! If you have extra that need to be cooked up – I GOT YOU!
Try my Slow Cooker Pepper Steak or the Easy Chicken Fajita Quesadilla. Or even my Sheet Pan Spicy Balsamic Roasted Chicken & Veggies. I love that they are so versatile!
Made this casserole? Let us know how it went in the comment section below!
For even more great ideas follow me on:
- 1 Casserole Dish
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 cup brown or white rice cooked
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 1.5 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Pour olive oil into a saucepan over medium heat. Add in diced onion and cook until soft. Now add garlic and peppers. Cook until peppers are softened.
- Crumble turkey into pepper mixture. Brown and then drain.
- Add cooked rice and then salt, tomato sauce and spices. Stir in 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Pour into prepared dish. Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for 10 more minutes, until bubbly. Serve up and enjoy!