Need an easy dinner recipe? This Pesto Stuffed Chicken Recipe is EVERYTHING! It’s so delicious and easy to make. So flavorful and makes a yummy and healthy dinner!
Pesto Stuffed Chicken Recipe
If you know me at all, you know what a pesto freak I am. It’s one of my favorite things ever!! I even have a Homemade Pesto Recipe right here on my very website that is to die for!
Not to mention ALL of the pesto recipes I have on here like Homemade Pesto Pizza on the Grill and a Pesto Pizza with Avocado, Creamy Pesto Pasta Chicken and even Mini Pita Pesto Pizzas.
What do you use pesto sauce with?
Great question! I just gave you many examples above for using pesto sauce. Pesto is very versatile and can go with many dishes. It has a great flavor that’s robust but really pleasing to the palate. I love adding it to salads and other savory dishes to add a great flavor profile.
What do you eat with Chicken Pesto?
My sister in law sent me this recipe forever ago and I’m been making it ever since. It’s easy to make but looks fancy and is great to make when you have people over for maybe a date night or party.
I love making it with my Perfect Baked Potatoes (which not to be a snob, but are pretty dang amazing! This is how I make baked potatoes EVERY TIME.) I also love adding a side of my Glazed Carrots for a good dose of veggies.
All three of these recipes are awesome and you need to try them!
Is Chicken Pesto good for you?
Chicken is one of the leanest meats you can buy! Pesto happens to be a bit high in fat because of the oil in it but it balances out the leanness of the boneless, skinless chicken breast.
Because you bake the stuffed pesto chicken, that also saves on calories – not to mention the mess of frying chicken. This Pesto Chicken is sure to hit the spot! Who doesn’t love a Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe?!
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless chicken breasts pounded 1/4-inch thick
- 4 tablespoons basil pesto
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cover the bottom of a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil sprayed with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine the salt and pepper. Sprinkle and pat this mixture onto both sides of the chicken.
- On a large plate, place one chicken breast smooth side down, with the narrowest end closest to you. Place 1 tablespoon of pesto onto the center of the breast. Spread the pesto evenly over the breast using a pastry brush.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese over the pesto, keeping a ½ inch cheese-free border around the breast. Starting at the end closest to you, carefully roll up the chicken breast.
- Using 4 toothpicks, secure the end of the breast. Place the breast, toothpick side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat steps with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Slowly pour 1 teaspoon of oil over each breast. Use a pastry brush to coat the top and the sides of each breast. Place 1½ teaspoons of Dijon mustard on top of each breast. Use a pastry brush to coat the top and sides of each breast.
- Carefully sprinkle 1 tablespoon of bread crumbs over the top and along the sides of each breast, using your fingers to pat the crumbs onto the sides. Bake until the chicken is firm and no longer pink inside, approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes before removing the toothpicks. Using a chef’s knife, slice each breast ½-inch to 1-inch thick on the diagonal before serving. Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply