Looking for an easy, cheesy and family approved dinner recipe? You NEED this Creamy Chicken Pasta Casserole Recipe! It’s always a hit!
Creamy Chicken Pasta Casserole
I fancy myself somewhat of a casserole connoisseur. Does that sound pretentious? 😉 Honestly though, I feel like casseroles get a bad rap.
I feel like most people think casseroles are boring and gross. Let me tell you, when you’re feeding a group of people (or in my case: 4 hungry boys) or just enjoy having leftovers to grab from the fridge for a quick lunch or dinner, a casserole is the way to go.
YUM. I have so many delicious Casserole Recipes here that you need to try.
How do you make a Chicken Casserole?
There are so many different ways to make Chicken Pasta Casserole.
- Any kind of pasta works (I chose rotini for this one).
- Use cream soups – or don’t. There are so many ways to create a creamy mixture. If you like meat, add it!
- You can use all sorts of extras you find in your refrigerator or pantry.
- Top with melty cheese or a buttery breadcrumb mixture (I did both!).
It’s almost like a science experiment – find what flavors you think go together and let your imagination fly free!
If you don’t have the time to experiment and want a Chicken Pasta Casserole you know will be a winner, look no further! Scroll down and get this recipe.
I’m not lying when I say it’s so delicious. 🤤
How long do you bake a casserole in the oven?
What I love about this Chicken Pasta Casserole Recipe is that it uses already cooked chicken. I try and grocery shop for the week and plan out my meals.
I like to buy and shred a rotisserie chicken or I’ll throw some chicken in the crock pot for the week to have for meals or snacks. Having the chicken already ready to go makes this dish super simple.
The pasta cooks separately so all you really have to do is make the sauce which is so easy, cook the pasta, and toss it all together with the chicken. I added a breadcrumb mixture to the top but you can just throw cheese on it if you prefer!
It bakes in 30 minutes, until bubbly and toasty. Your house will smell amazing.
What goes good with chicken casserole?
Pretty much any side goes perfectly with this chicken casserole! Here are a few options:
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- Homemade Crock Pot Applesauce
- Lemon Green Beans
- Garlic Parmesan Baked Asparagus
Really you can’t go wrong! Head on over to the Pasta Casserole recipe below and let me know if you make it. Also, be sure to follow me on social media:
For even more great ideas follow me on:
- 9x13 Casserole Dish
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive or avocado oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 4 ounce diced green chilies undrained
- 2 cups milk
- 2.5 cups mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded (I use a rotisserie chicken)
- 3 cups rotini pasta uncooked
- 1 cup Italian style panko bread crumbs
- 6 Tbsp. butter melted
- In a skillet, melt the butter and oil together. Add the diced onion and cook on medium heat until the onion is tender. Add in salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and stir to combine. Pour in minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Meanwhile, heat salted water for pasta per the box directions. Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Into the onion/garlic mixture, add in cream of chicken soup, sour cream and diced green chilies. Slowly whisk in milk - a half cup at a time, until desired consistency.
- Once mixed, stir in 2 cups of the shredded mozzarella cheese and all of the parmesan cheese and let melt. Turn the stovetop off and take off heat.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and toss into the creamy mixture, along with the cooked chicken. Pour into a 9x13 casserole dish. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella.
- (Optional) Breadcrumb Mixture:Pour panko breadcrumbs into melted butter and stir together with a fork. Spread on top of casserole and bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes, or until bubbly and heated through. Enjoy!